1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Protection Plan upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by timdh, May 16, 2013.

1. timdh

timdh Cool Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Called tonight and here is what I received on my account that is 23 months old. New Genie and 3 mini-Genies, all for free, to replace an HR24 and 3 H25s. I also added an extra mini-Genie for our spare bedroom for $49. Very painless transaction. Didn't even have to ask for anything other than the new install. Everything was offered to me right up front.

Tim

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, that seems kind of "normal" for an account that is running out of contract and is in good status. aka "hearty" lol

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If I was you I would keep the HR24 instead of replacing it.

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Just as I said in another thread, at this point you're really only swapping one setup for another. The only real upgrade here is adding another room. I would upgrade one of the H25's to the genie and move that receiver into your new room. Clients/mini's are really aimed at new installs or upgrading standard equipment.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    RIght on!

6. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    I have an HR34, H24 and a client C31, I would never change the H24 for another client and lose a tuner. I'd rather change the c31 to h25 or H24. I find the clients slow and also using a tuner from the Genie sucks. Will Directv swap a C31 for an H24 or H25, since there the same price?

7. timdh

timdh Cool Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Wow....that's too many random letters and numbers for me! :) I had to log into my account on DTV in order to figure out what equipment I had to begin with. Why is everyone against the mini-Genies? Do they display HD video? That is my biggest need for most rooms. I don't care about how many tuners I have or whatnot and I don't care if it takes a couple extra seconds to change a channel. 90% of the time there are only 2 TVs on in our house at any one time. We don't have a big house or a lot of TV users. If everything works when we turn the TV on and it is in HD (where available) then we are happy. Someone help me understand the mini-Genie problems though so that I don't feel like such a noob. :)

Tim

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I think that the first argument is that it doesn't make sense to get rid of an existing HD DVR when getting a Genie because, for the exact same price that you will have 1 HD DVR with 5 tuners, you could have 2 HD DVR's with a total of 7 tuners. What's the point of "throwing away" those two recordable tuners?

The arugment against getting rid of existing tuners in favor of Genie clients is that you're not really gaining anything with a client, but you are using tuners from the Genie, which could cause recording problems if you want to record a whole bunch of shows on the Genie at one time.

Most people here, whou are in your current situation would add the Genie, move your exising DVR to the location of one of your exisitng H25's and move that H25 to the new room. This way, you would always have 7 available tuners for recording with a total of 10 tuners in the house. With the setup that you're going to, you will have a total of 5 recordable tuners, which would be reduced by 1 for every client that is active at that time.

Both of these setups would have the same monthly cost as one another. So, the question shouldn't be what's wrong with clients? It should be why would I want clients instead of exisiting receivers and DVR's?

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was just offered a 44 to renew my commitment. The CSR at ACT wasn't aware that it hasn't been released in every market yet, but put notes on my account that I am to be offered a 44, without cost, when they become available. Hmm, what should I do? I've already got 24 tuners and 24TBs of recording capacity. Am I curious enough about the 44 to renew my commitment? I dunno.

Rich

10. timdh

timdh Cool Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Bill - you did a great job in explaining the reasons against the mini-Genies. Thank you. I don't really see the need for 7 or 10 tuners in our house but that's because we are not heavy TV users. I suspect that most people here watch a lot more TV than we do. I can't think of the last time I had a recording conflict with my HR24 and I really don't come close to using up all the recording space on my current DVR. I probably don't need any new equipment but we are happy with DTV and plan to stay with them so if they are going to give me better/newer equipment, I'll take it.

Anyway, I'll think it over and may take the suggestions offered just in case they start making a ton of TV shows that I just have to watch (not likely though). :)

One quick question, if I get a Genie and keep the HD DVR too, how do the recordings work between the two? Do the 2 DVRs merge their recordings into one master list that I can choose from or do I have to somehow pick which DVR I want to watch or some way I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks everyone for looking out for my best interests.

Tim

11. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Would the two additional HRs be able to share programming with the Genie and each other?

12. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    I just called Directv about the PP upgrade. I was offered a free Genie which is what I was hoping to hear. Based on some research here, I opted to keep my 2 existing DVR's & trade in my basic HD receiver (non-DVR) rather than get mini Genies for each room. What I didn't think to ask was this:

Can the Genie be hooked up to my older HD DVR's for the Whole Home experience or will it only work for the mini Genies?
    I have a HR24 & HR22. Based on what I can find online, both seem to work with the Genie for Whole Home but I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm.

Also, has anyone been told that the new HR44 is NOT covered under the Protection Plan? When I asked the CSR about getting a HR44, she told me I'd get a HR34 because the HR44 wasn't part of the protection plan. (I'm still going to ask the tech for one when he comes to install though :righton: ).

Has anyone else been able to secure a HR44 thru this PP upgrade?

13. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    That is not true. Sounds like you spoke with a agent with a bit of ignorance. It happens. The HR44 is just a newer model Genie. All Genie's are part of the protection plan upgrade. Now when the installer comes out, he may or may not have the HR44 but it never hurts to ask.

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yes and no. For content that has already been recorded, you will see a unified title list and can watch programs from both DVR's on any receiver in the house. When looking at the "To Do" list or "season passes" (I forget what DirecTV calls this list), you will only see the list from the DVR that you are watching on. I don't have any non-DVR receivers. So, I'm not sure what you how the To Do and Season Pass lists are displayed on those receivers.

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yes. They can also share with receivers and Genie Clients.

16. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Whole Home DVR service allows all recordings on all DVR's, whether HD DVR or Genie, throughout the home on all HD equipment(including clients/mini's). I don't mean to be all that blunt but Whole Home service has been around for about 3 years. It has not changed. The Genie is just a 5 tuner HD DVR that has the ability to share to RVU clients. Other than that, it's not an entirely new system. You guys are drastically over thinking things.

17. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    Thanks for the resposes above everyone. I have a much better understanding of the Whole Home service now. I must admit, when Directv introduced it, I really had no interest in it. I did, however, want a Genie so when I called to order one, The Whole Home thing was mentioned & I decided to come here for answers rather than ask a Directv CSR. Again, thanks for the help. Install is on Sunday & I can't wait to have the latest & greatest product.

18. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Whole Home service requires a SWM(single wire multiswitch) as does the Genie, so you will almost always hear Whole Home service mentioned with the Genie. Technically the Whole Home service is a requirement if you have the Genie, though with the older charge model (HD service $10, DVR service $10 and Whole Home service $3) if can actually be removed. New customers cannot remove the service(Advanced Receiver Monthly $25).

19. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Also, as you know, new customers pay the 25.00 charge even if they do not have whole home and 1 ird setup. Personally think the older model was more customer friendly. Like you could also remove the dvr service charge if you owned the dvr instead of leasing.

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think one point that was missed here was that having only Genie and clients is "putting your eggs in one basket" if your Genie breaks (it will) you will be without TV until the Genie gets replaced. Another advantage of keeping the DVRs, is that you already have them, why get rid of them…