1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My reasons for leaving DirecTV and adding Dish Network after 10 years.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by oldschoolecw, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1 of 22
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Being disabled and on fixed income is just the beginning, but the truth is there are many reasons and Dish having the choice of the new NFL Red Zone channel and have signed a new contract with Comcast for the Versus channel are just what made this switch happen.

Dish having more premium channels and more of them in HD is another example. Getting Cinemax for a penny with automatic billing is a great deal and I will now be getting 6 Cinemax channels instead of DirecTV’s 3. More Showtime channels also helps, being able to record up to 4 programs at once with OTA hooked up is incredibly cool.

Having an external Hard Drive that can be switched out with another unit equals “winner, winner chicken dinner” having Americas everything pack and getting Setanta Sports and still having my bill be lower then my DirecTV bill, is full of AWESOMENESS.;)

Thanks
    Rich

Any thoughts

2. Oct 6, 2009 #2 of 22
    girdnerg

girdnerg AllStar

May 17, 2007
    That's great! I switched because D* wanted to play hardball when I went HD. Even tho I had been with them forever (my D* setup cost me $1200 many years ago), they wouldn't give me any break on the new equipment. So, I talked to E* and they wanted me bad. Everything free. D* still sends me deals in the mail trying to get me back. If they had done what I wanted to begin with, I would still be with them, maybe.

Glad they did that tho. I love the 722k with it's warts and all. 4 recordings at once is incredible. My poor kids have to live with a lowly 622 tho, lol.

3. Oct 6, 2009 #3 of 22
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The bottom line is that everyone needs to evaluate their needs and pick the service that works best for them. No one service is best for everyone.

4. Oct 6, 2009 #4 of 22
    priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I compared for a long time before switching to Dish. They offer a few more regular channels than Direct. I get more use out of regular channels than with the extra sports channels I was getting with Direct.

5. Oct 6, 2009 #5 of 22
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Dish just called about my installation tomorrow woohoo

6. Oct 6, 2009 #6 of 22
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Was wondering why you have comcast for Versus, when Dish carries it on channel 151 in HD?

7. Oct 6, 2009 #7 of 22
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Comcast owns the Versus channel or are you asking something else:confused:

8. Oct 6, 2009 #8 of 22
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I misread your post, you are talking about Dish having an new contract with Comcast for VS, not you having Comcast for VS. Sorry my misread.

9. Oct 6, 2009 #9 of 22
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Yes, Dish signing a contract with Comcast to carry the VS channel:)

10. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I actually had D before E, from the time Primestar was taken over by D. I ended up leaving D for E because I got jerked around by D during a switch to HD. Eventhough E ultimately ended up being as bad (possibly worse for their totally inept csr's) I still get offers almost every month to come back to D.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Yup my Dish install is Friday. No more of U-verse freezing, pixilating and horrible service!

12. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    :nono:Dish just called and said the installer never signed on today so my installation wont be happening until Saturday. I’m not happy and may just cancel because I had this all timed out with my DirecTV bill is paid until the 11th of this month then a new cycle starts. Not a great way to start with a new customer in my opinion:mad:

13. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Update

I just called Dish back and told them this is unacceptable and he guaranteed a technician would be here Saturday morning or everything would be cancelled on my end

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Your original post presented your reasoning for jumping to E*.

You've not said anything about any of those reasons no longer being valid.

E* calls you and explains that the installed didn't sign on and your install will be delayed a day or two. You're threatening to stay with D* and cancel E*.

You've defined "unreasonableness" with your proposed action. :rolleyes:

15. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I’m just very nervous about whither this is the right move for me after 10 years with DirecTV

16. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    nervous?
    its only a switch from D to DN.
    its not the end of the world:rolleyes:

17. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    It is if what friends have told me about Dish not being even close to DirecTV in reliability with rain fade. One of my friends who had Dish a few years back told me he lost his signal in a drizzle with Dish, but he also said the same thing about DirecTV so now he has Comcast because of the rain fade issues. Comcast is my last resort……..

18. davidxlai

davidxlai AllStar

Jan 20, 2006
    Never had rain fade happend to me. I have had Dish for 5 years.

19. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Does it ever rain in California?:D

20. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    In our part of So Cal. When it rains it can really really pour. Reminds me of days living in Seattle. In North Idaho we had over 20 inches of Snow fall in 24hrs, and 80 inches for the week, mid december last year. Sorry thats even worse than rain, we had little to no fade, during the horrible week.