1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

My Remote won't Turn on TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by socal404, Jan 16, 2012.

1. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    I have an H25 HD receiver, and just purchased a Sharp 26" TV. I was able to program my Directv remote to turn it on/off with the power switch, but it won't turn the set on/off with the Directv on/off switch. The receiver functions properly, but when I turn the receiver off, the TV won't turn off as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.:confused:

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Use one of the other codes for your TV or use the slider.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    PM EDMUND (the Remote Master) and he can answer any and all questions about Remotes and why they will or will not work.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Certain TVs are not able to work with the On/Off buttons on the remote. The way those buttons work is that it sends two signals out. One to first turn the receiver on/off and then one for the TV to turn on/off. Some TVs will not see the second signal. Unfortunately, in this case, you need to use the slider and then use the PWR button.

- Merg

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I just bought a Sharp LC 26SV490U from Best Buy and have no problems with the remote turning the TV off/on with the DTV on off switch.

You might simply have to try all the codes listed in the remote programming menu.

6. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    doctrsnoop,

I'm having the problem with the same TV you just bought. I took it out of the box this morning. As you know it does an automatic setup, and doesn't offer different codes. Did you try again after the initial setup?

7. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Well I don't have the automatic setup model, so I did it the old manual way. I'm sure you can still do that too. Drill down through menu, setup, remote, tv, scroll down to Sharp, there are a few codes. I don't remember exactly the one that ends up being the right one. But very often the codes are similar, often all able to control volume or something, but doing something funny with power.

On my HR22 I see quite a few Sharp codes, 10818, 10093, 10039, 10153, 10157, 10165, 10281, 10386 and more. Pretty sure it was one of those. Even if they don't show on an H25 I believe those codes are still valid for the remote.

Slide switch to TV, hold MUTE and SELECT until flashes twice, enter code, it will flash twice.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    From the remote manual:
    Sharp:
    10093, 10039, 10153, 10157, 10165, 10220, 10281, 10386, 10398, 10491, 10688, 10689, 10818, 10851, 11602, 11917, 11393

9. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Also try code 11089.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Finally EDMUND to the RESCUE!!! :lol:

11. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    i have a SHARP LC-60LE835U1

the remote works correctly with the tv. However of course since I am using RF for the DirecTV and the tv is IR i still have to point the stinkin remote at the TV, and it frequently misses. When it misses it throws it out of sync too so when I do turn the dang TV on the box goes off, and since I'm using HDMI detection it shuts the tv right back off too :).

I know I know, I could just hit the remote again, but My DTV box is not visible, so i don't see whether it's on or not.

anyway, i'll be over here whining about small stuff --->

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Since you are using HDMI detection, can't you just use the power button on the DIRECTV remote to toggle the box. It would then turn the TV on and off. (You'd know when it missed turning the box off, because the TV would still be on, too.)

13. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Edmund,

Thanks for the suggestion, but here is the problem, which no one seems to be reading in my posts. In the remote set-up for the H25-500 that I have, it doesn't ask for a code. The process is this. I go to Set Up>Remote Set-up. I then choose the make and model of my TV, and aim the Directv remote at the receiver and TV. It does the finding automatically. It never asks me to input a code. After it is done with the process, it asks me to try the volume control. If it works, my choice is the "It Works". My only other choices are "try another make" or "reset remote". I've done everything it is asking me, and the Directv On/Off buttons only turn off the receiver. I have to use the TV's remote to turn off the set. So, with that, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

14. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    To manually program the remote to control your TV, start by sliding the switch on the remote to TV, then hold down mute and select, wait for 2 blinks and then enter code....repeat until you find the code that works (try 10818).

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Also try code 11089 according to EDMUND is no other code works.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think that code was listed under plasma TVs, but to try to answer the OP:
    "yes you need to manually enter the code". The auto programing doesn't always work, but since what you're trying to do it program the remote, you don't need the receiver to do anything.
    Slide the switch to TV, then hold down mute and select, wait for 2 blinks and then enter code....repeat until you find the code that works

17. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    Finally, after many days, I have resolved my issue. Thanks to everyone for your help. I didn't realize you could program the TV without using the Directv receiver. I found the proper code, and now both the receiver and the TV work with the Directv On/Off switch. Thanks again!:hurah:

18. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    cool! I think the TV is pretty good for the money.

19. thebigeazy

thebigeazy Cool Member

May 12, 2006
    South Louisiana
    I hate to hack this discussion, but I've been having a problem with my RCA 22LA45RG TV. Before the last upgrade (0x59e) I could turn the tv on/off using the on & off buttons on the remote. Now I need to slide it to TV. I've tried all of the RCA codes and scanning for a code but nothing works.

Thanks

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The software update had nothing to do with your remote. Might be time for a new remote or a reset of the remote and start fresh.