1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

My setup..do I need DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by goober55, May 11, 2010.

1. goober55

goober55 Cool Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I am wanting to upgrage to multi room on the 13th when this rolls out and have a question. I have a SWM setup with a HR23 & 4/H24-100's. For Directv to come out & set me up, what will I need, just one DECA adapter for the HR21, since the H24's are already ready to go from what I understand ? What will I be charged out the door for all of this besides the $3 per month? Would it be cheaper to buy the DECA from Solidsignal & do this myself ?

Thanks for your help, Ed

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'd buy it from solid signal. Directv's going to charge you $100 for the equipment, and $50 for installation. Just make sure you get 2 (If you want them connected to the internet) and the power supply. H24s already have built in DECA.

3. goober55

goober55 Cool Member

Aug 4, 2009
    OK...thanks....I just wanted to make sure I was doing this in the most affordable way. Another thing....has anyone all of a sudden had problems doing MRV via their network ? All of a sudden this morning I could not connect to my networked HR22 from a networked H24. Verified internet connection for both. Did D** maybe turn this off already instead of waiting until the end of the month ? I tried rebooting everything also.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    MRV is still working for me on my network. Using HR20 and HR23.

5. johnid

johnid Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    well do you have the green tag on your dish you might still need an install

6. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    He wouldn't need an install, he'd need a BSFR01 Band Stop Filter, $3.99 at Solid Signal. :)

7. goober55

goober55 Cool Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I have a Slimline3 SWM....so is the cheapest option to buy two DECA's from Solidsignal ?

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yes. Get one if you JUST want MRV. Get 2 if you want your receivers connected to the internet. You'll also need the DECA power adapter.
    Though what'd I'd really suggest, if you can afford it, is replace current DVR with the HR24, and get just one DECA unit if you want internet.

9. goober55

goober55 Cool Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Will i still need a power adapter for the DECA if there is a power insertor already installed before the HR22 ? Andy why would I need a Band Stop Filter ?

Thanks, Ed

10. johnid

johnid Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    bs filters are for the non green dish set ups they block out extra noise

11. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    "BS filters" Nice hehe ;) Do we need them if we go purely DECA (All 24s)? And where would I look on my LNB (SWM LNB) to see if I need one? Please don't tell me I gotta pull it off the dish lol

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since you don't want to look, figure it isn't a green sticker and then needs a Bandstop filter.

13. johnid

johnid Cool Member

Jan 15, 2010
    there is a green tag right at the end of the dish arm underneath the transponders(i think my lingo is right )

14. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    They don't block out noise, they block the 500-600 MHz DECA frequencies from a SWiM switch (SWM LNB, SWM-5, SWM-8) that doesn't have one built in (i.e., ones without a green label).

As previously stated, you can see the green 'sticker' on the bottom of the LNB. But, it won't hurt to use a Band Stop Filter (between the SWM switch and the first splitter) whether or not there's a green 'sticker'.

15. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    So regarding the bandstop filter... if I have a SWM-5,and the power inserter for the SWM-5 is installed "after" a SWS4 splitter using the red power passing port, can I leave the PI where it is and just install the Bandstop filter between the SWM-5 and the SWS4 splitter? Or do I need to move the PI between the SWM-5 and the Bandstop filter?

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I think the filter goes before the splitter there.

17. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    Right... but I'm wondering if the PI for the SWM-5 can stay where it is (after the splitter). I guess I just want to be sure the filter won't "stop" the power from getting to the SWM-5.

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yea, the PI can stay after the splitter still.