1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

My THR22 is dying - advice needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by elmofongo, Oct 5, 2013.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Cool Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I have two THR22. One of them has a 2TB internal drive that I had installed (swapped the original) almost 2 years ago.
    It just started freezing and crashing. It's usually fine for about 30 minutes after a power cycle.

I'm thinking of replacing the 2TB drive and hope it's not the motherboard that's dying.

Here's my question:

Is it true that I can use Gparted to copy the content of my old 2TB drive to the new one?
    I saw the instructions on another forum but it might be for HRxx DVR's only.

Thanks

-Adrian

2. tylorert

tylorert Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Seems to be old firmware. A little bit more information please.

3. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    The THR22-100 has basically the same hardware as the HR22-100, but with a different chip or two. I know I did a comparison of the motherboard about 5 years ago. I have not tried to do what you are requesting, but perhaps toss the stock hard drive in and see if you have the same freezing/crashing issues. If not, then your 2TB hard drive is just about toast.

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    You can copy the partitions, but can't expand them, in my experience. But if your existing drive is failing, you'd just be copying bad data to the new one.

You might want to consider using an eSATA external drive and leave the internal one alone.

My THR22 is still fine, but I'm dreading the argument with my wife if it ever dies. I'd be happy if she would drop the THR22 and use the HR44 I also have, but I know she loves her TiVo.

5. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I didn't look close enough the other night, but the 2nd post was almost 3 years after the original thread started......oops.

And Steve, I gave my parents my owned THR22 a couple years ago, after they had SD DirecTiVo's for 7 years before that. Then I got my dad a HR24 about 2 years ago. Although he likes some of the better features on the 24, the THR22 is still snappier through the menus compared the the lag on the 24 with recent updates. My mom will never part with the 22, so your wife is not alone. :)