1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my tom tom has issuse

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nabisco, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    my tom tom is acting up, i have it on the rear view mirror( cant use the mirror) and it loses the satellite when i m driving down the road, it has never been this bad it always found its self real quick, i did the updates to it where it has the presets to know where to look for the sats and it still acts up? i cant say weather because it does it rain or shine, i keep turning it off and on to reset it but only sometime it works it cant be the spot in the truck its been there for a year!!! do they go bad? i was wondering if i bought a external antenna if that would help or do i need to look at a new tom tom? can i send this in and get it fixed? thanks!!!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have mine mounted below the dash level, as the roof and windshield antiglare if you have that, can block the signal. When you arent getting a signal, try moving it down to the level of the air conditioner vents, and hold it there, and see what happens (while you arent driving of course). If it works there, consider some air conditioner vent mounts for about $20. It would also help if you were on the satellite screen so you could monitor the actual signal strengths. Mine would not work mounted to the mirror, nor will my Garmin.

An external antenna, if thats an option, is always preferable to internal ones.

3. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I keep mine on my passenger seat & it works fine.I heard something a long time ago & I'm mot sure whether it applies here,but the lead content in glass can affect reception of GPS signals

4. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
  5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I've had my TomTom sitting in a dash mounting for a year - never a reception problem in the 20+ states I've used it. My car, rental cars, other people's cars....not one issue.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    They can go bad. . . just like any electronics. It could be heat related in the car.

I know Garmin has a 'flat fee' replacement/ exchange - I used it on a 305 that came off my bicycle and was crushed in an intersection.

Although, depending on how new it is, you might be better off upgrading.