1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My upcoming install, just confirming I won't have any issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by newsposter, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Currently I have 2 HDtivos stacked in my living room (4 lines in of course), no m/s and my OTA line is totally separate.

I'm going to have the hr20 installed this saturday. I'm hoping he just installs the dish on my porch roof next to the 3lnb. EZ as pie. Others on this board have confirmed that since i get the 101 just fine, the new birds should be ok. I dont care about the 119 i cant get in (and hope he leaves it alone too as last time he refused to install).

My question is about my new setup. I dont think i need new lines run as it's a very difficult thing to do anyway. (drilling thru block and trying to angle down to crawlspace ..access thru crawling in outside window...not fun...etc). So, what i hoped he will do is use my existing 4 lines, put the dish right next to my old one (i do want to leave it up for backup 'just in case'), then just take the 4 lines that already come out of my living room floor and let the zinwell switch sit on my floor and then run 6 lines to my 3 receivers.

In your install experience is there any reason he wouldnt do this? It saves such an amount of work. The only thing i can think of is i may not have enough slack in the dish wires out there and he may have to add a few feet. Is this ok? Total run of RG6 now is probably 75 ft.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only potential problem I see is that you need to be able to see 119 in order to install and align the 5-LNB dish. The alignment procedure has you fine tune using 101 and 119.

It is possible to put up a 5-LNB dish without seeing 119, but you need a better than normal installer to do so. Also, some of the guide data for the new HD channels comes from 119, so if you can't see 119 you have to compensate by making sure your DVR is tuned to a 101 channel for several early morning hours each day.

Best bet - find a way to see 119.

Carl

3. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    wow i've never heard of that about the guide data. If it comes on the 119, i dont understand how even setting up a manual recording for every night on the 101 will help?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's only a problem if your DVR's tuners are "parked" on a channel beamed from the new 103-deg W Ka-band satellite. When the tuners are parked on one of those channels, the Guide Data comes from 119-deg W. When the tuners are parked on channels beamed from 99 or 101-deg W, the Guide Data comes from 101-deg W. Guide Data for ALL channels is provided from both satellites, so as long as your DVR/Receiver is not always tuned to a 103-deg W channel you'll be fine. Hopefully this "problem" will go away when all of the HD Channels are moved to 99/103-deg W.

5. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    ah so if both tuners are on 103 i'm screwed. This sounds like a reason they may not install if 119 is so 'required'. But assume it is on 103 for a day or 2. Does that mean that all data is lost or just that data at the end of the 2 week period?

obviously i'd set up a manual recording to get around this but i guess it's up to the installer to be nice and let me sign if 119 cant be seen this time

6. rirwin1983

rirwin1983 Legend

Dec 11, 2005
    i'd do it like that, so long as the cust was ok signing off on 119 issues.at the most the installer will need to make a 3-6 ft "jumper" which directv not only allows, but includes in the box for that dish, as if u take off the lnb, u have to repeate the fine tuning again.

7. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Ill sign, no problem. I dont get the need for the jumper. with my current dish it just hangs when rebooted but i hit 'use available channels' and am fine.

are you saying if i dont get 119 that something has to be done to the dish or i wont be able to use HR20?

obviously i'm confused

8. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    just to complete this thread. I am getting in the 119 rock solid but have 110 issues and other various transponders in and out on the 99 and 103. (narrated in other thread)

even got the 2nd installer to wire me up with zinwell and another drop from the dish so all stacked recorders are getting the same good signals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.