1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My upgrade experience today

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TheRatPatrol, Sep 10, 2010.

1. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello everyone, here is my upgrade story that happened earlier today. Sorry this is a little long, but I feel like a kid on Christmas with all his new toys. :grin:

Called last week to see about getting another HD-DVR added and WHDVR. Said they could come out today between 8-12. So today at about 815 the D* van pulls up, guy got out, came up to the door, showed me his D* ID badge, and introduced himself as David. Yes, it was Ironwood, but I got to say, this guy was sharp and knew his stuff.

The dish is mounted in the back yard on the lower section of eves on the house. So, me knowing what I know, and from reading these threads, I pretty much had everything set up for the installer, including my Little Giant step ladder, yes, even a ladder, and yes he did use it! ;) I also had all the cables ready to go too, HDMI, ethernet, and the cable coming into the house from the dish. He was very grateful that I had everything ready, and that he didn’t have to take his ladder off the van.

Everything is set up in one central location, both DVR’s hooked up to the same TV, but the HR20 is also feeding other TV’s in the house using coax and component cables and controlled by RF. The new DVR is now the primary DVR for the LR.

While up on the ladder, he took one look at my old 5LNBSL (non-SWM) and said, “I’m going to go ahead and replace the whole dish for you, this one has seen better days, and it feels loose”. I was like, “wow, really, no extra charge”? He was like, “nope, let me get one from the van”. So he comes back with a brand new SL3SWM dish. He also put two braces on for me, my other dish didn’t have them. He did not replace the J mounting arm, just the dish. The new SL3SWM’s are pretty cool, they have a quick disconnect latch type system for the LNB now, just slip in the LNB and flip the latch, its locked in, no more screws.

Ok, let me get to the point, here is what I got installed today:

1. New SL3SWM dish
    2. One 4 way splitter
    3. One SWMLNB power adapter. This is a new one, this one only has one coax input, so you must use the red power pass through on the splitters now.
    4. One ethernet connection kit, the new black box one. Pretty cool, its small, about the size of a deck of cards.
    5. One DECA for my existing HR20-700
    6. And last but not least, and brand new HR24-200! SWEET! :D

So now I have two HD-DVRs, where before for the last 3 years I only had one receiver in the whole house. But I’ve got say, this WHDVR/MRV/SWM/DECA technology is very cool! First, having a single cable come from the dish makes things so much easier and faster for the installers, especially if there is already coax cable installed in the house, just a matter of getting the cable to the junction box. Second, having both DVRs being able to talk to each other over existing coax, and having a “master list” of all of your recorded shows in one place, makes things so much easier. No more switching inputs between DVRs anymore. (see my signature for my other 2 DVRs)

So yes, I had a good experience with Ironwood, happy with everything. The installer knew what he was doing, of course, I helped when I could, but tried to stay out his way (thanks VOS ;)). Again, I had everything set up, but once he left, I rearranged some things. He was here from about 815 to almost 10.

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered all my questions about the upgrade. There are too many user names to list here, but one in particular, VOS, he knows his stuff. And yes VOS, I did tip him, and I also gave him a bottled water while he was working outside. ;)

Also attached some picture of the new SWM-LNB power adapter, broadband adapter, and dish mount.

Thanks for reading. I’m finally a WHDVR member. :D

Attached Files:

2. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    RatPatrol,

This is great news. As an installer Ironwood has been on my **** list for years. They offered the lowest slice of the installation money. Their offices were a mess. Pay was slow and or inaccurate. Their managers were a mixed bag; tech competent but poor people folks OR just crooks in a new suite. Their inventory control and logistics were the worst.

So now they have changed. Great! I'll speak with them next ad I see.

Joe

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Everything lloks good, except for the QC fail (used WHITE coax) Outside, Thats a fail every time and a sign of sub contractor work! In my part of the world. Other than that glad you got good service :)

4. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    Glad to hear you had a good experience! I thought almost all the Ironwoods were O&O's now?

5. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009

Thats not true. If the cable is swept to 3ghtz and has a solid copper center conductor, it's fine.

6. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Nice setup!

:D

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    enkkk wrong answer....

The reason it fails QC White cable is not inheriently UV protected; thus not used or approved for outdoor applications by DirecTV, Dishnetwork or any other (TV or internet) service provider.

On a side note to the recent installed OP, is the dish grounded; it doesn't look like it from that picture, but it's hard to be sure from the angels...??? If not, then that's something else that would fail QC and I would suggest you do right off the bat....

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well thats the white cable thats been up there for the past 3 years, never had any issues with it, I think its 3GHz, runs under the eves out of the weather. He used white 3GHz cable "jumpers" inside. I can't believe using white cable would fail a QC, [strike]whats the issue with using white cable[/strike]< answered above.

Yeah its grounded, you just can't see it in that picture at that angle.

9. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    When exposed to direct sunlight (UV rays) the cable will split after a few years of exposure. The tech was just lazy and used your own preran lines; which is against QC (if they don't live up to the standards DirecTV sets which specifies BLACK for just this reason.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sorry Yoda, white cable is approved per DirecTvs Approved Materials list date 5/10 (most current)

[TABLE]Type |Last Date Change | Part # | Description | Mfg

Cable: Coax Dual |June-06| PVCX3W| UL Listed-Dual, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid Solid Copper Center Conductor w/ 17awg C Clad Ground (500' Reel) White |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Dual | June-06 | PVCX2B |UL Listed-Dual, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid Solid Copper Center Conductor ( on 500' Reel) Black |DIRECTV
    Cable: oax Dual |July-06| PVCX3B |UL Listed-Dual, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid Solid Copper Center Conductor w/ 17awg C Clad Ground (500' Reel) Black |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Dual |July-06 |PVCX2W |UL Listed-Dual, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid Solid Copper Center Conductor ( on 500' Reel) White |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Single| October-03 |PVCX1B |UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor (1000' Reel) Black |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Single| December-09| PVCX4B| UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor w/ 17 awg C Clad Ground (1000' Reel) White |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Single |June-06| PVCX1W |UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor (1000' Reel) White |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Dual |June-09 |YV100158| Cable RG Flooded (UG) |PERFECT-10
    Cable: Coax Single |June-06| PVCX4W |UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor w/ 17awg C Clad Ground (1000' Reel) White |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Dual |10/1/03 |A660D-1GUSC |UL Listed-Dual Flooded, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid Solid Copper Center Conductor w/ 17awg C Clad Ground (500' Reel) 500' Foot Rolls
    Cable: Coax Single |June-06 |PVCX1W| UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor (1000' Reel) White |DIRECTV
    Cable: Coax Single - Plenum |September-04 |VP621| UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor (1000' Reel) Plenum Cable |Perfect Vision
    Cable: Coax Single - Plenum |June-09 |9116P |Cable RG6 Plenum |PERFECT-10
    Cable: Coax Single w/phone line| July-05 |ULPVCX2B |UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor WITH ATTACHED 22 GA PHONE WIRE Black |Perfect Vision
    Cable: Coax Single w/phone line| December-05 |ULPVCX2W | UL Listed-Single, 3 GHz, RG6 60% Braid w/ Solid Copper Center Conductor WITH ATTACHED 22 GA PHONE WIRE White |Perfect Vision[/TABLE]

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Hey RobertE,

Is Directv actually expecting techs to cut serviceable cable off buildings and apply 3GHz?

I notice there is no CCS (Copper Coated Steel) on the list. There must be thousands of miles of that stuff out there. Any problems?

Joe

12. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Appriciate the update as it wasn't approved for usage priorly last I checked. I still wouldn't use it outside for the inheirent uv logevity compared to black even though most of the listed white versions use a thermo eleastic rubber jacet or pvc material at this point.

It's funny how Thomson and perfect vision manufacturerd cables are relabeled as manufactured by DirecTV. It's also funny how directv allows messenger wire or trace wire cable varieties to be used which most people use incorrectly for grounding. NEC requires a 10awg wire for that usage. The messenger wire is supposed to be used for arial runs or as a trace wire for barial cable (which is flooded cable which these are NOT). Flooded cable refers to cable which is infused with heavy water proofing due to the harsh enviormental conditions it has to survive with according to it's usage.

At any rate.....

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Depends. If you were to actually keep up with the current installation guidelines and statements of work, you'd see when, where and why existing cable can be used.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Some of those were updated over 4 years ago. :eek2:

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    It is that keeping up that is hard. I will not go beyond MASTEC ? DirectsatUSA?
    and a list of local creeps that owe me money. Just wondering how far Directv will go to fix the rigs that are out there.

Is there a source for Directv current specs?

Joe