1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my wife and my girl friend asked the same question?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SJ Bear Hunter, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJ Bear Hunter

SJ Bear Hunter Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    When D...TV updates the software for the R15 and it includes new features how do they let R15 users know about it. :nono2:

2. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    They make sure Earl gets the update first, and then he posts info on this forum....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I crack myself up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

Actually it is more like I get a list of the features...
    Kinda like "release notes", but unofficial...

4. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Your wife AND your girlfriend asked about this????? :lol:

5. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    You bas$$$$!!! Nice job.

6. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Ya I was thinking the exact same thing.

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    But on a serous note....to answer your question....they don't.

8. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    What ever happen to the messages that they send you on the DVR. On the UTV they would send a message to tell you the new features, when they were major changes, like they added folders to the UTV. The didn't put a message in the DVR message box telling about 30 sec slip?

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't know.

I only remember that message once with the DTivo... (with a listing of new features) and that was the same upgrade they sent mail to the house, plastered it on their website, ect....

10. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    There was a message with every update on the DTiVo, starting with 2.0.1. It didn't list bugs fixed, but it listed new features, if any, and described how the update would happen (either automatically at 2am or you could do it by resetting).

11. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    We know that this i fake because no one with a wife and a girlfriend has time for TV>

12. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I cant remember ever getting told what an update does or fixes. I get MicroSoft updates and they download automatically and install at night, My virus/spam software gets new updates and it never says whats added/changed. The same with most of my other computer programs. I never know what any of them do.

Not sure why people expect so much from DirecTv when no one else is doing it either.

13. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    That was the good old time.

Now they are so ashamed of the mistakes that they make that they do not dare telling us what they fix. :lol:

Seriously, I work in the software field, and this is the first time that i see a company updating their software without officialy explaining what they do. Specially that these boxes are OURS. So they HAVE to inform us about the changes they make on OUR box.

14. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I wish that they would butt hey don't have to.

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Serious?

Countless times... I have to go hunt to find what "updates" do.
    Even the Microsoft Updates are not 100% in their documentation

16. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I can understand they don't want to broadcast every little change, but you'd figure they could at least send a little message to the DVR to let you know the major fixes or improvements. I'd be pretty ticked/confuzed if I just bought the R15 (and didn't know about this forum) and then two days later the skip to end starting doing something different and wasn't in the manual.

It would be nice to know every little bug that they fix but we know that's not going to happen. Hopefully they will at least send a message out with this new update boasting the new 30 sec slip feature, so the normal people won't be confuzed.

17. gvaughn

gvaughn Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    Technically, we don't OWN MS software (or almost any other software for that matter)...we just get a license to use it. So there is a difference between owning and licensing.

Having said that though...I don't really think they have an obligation to tell us about updates and what they include, though it would be nice.

18. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    And "Laverne" appears to be right "ONCE AGAIN! :D

19. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Well...that's pretty narrow-minded! ;)

Seriously though, some feel that free speech means they have the right to force others to listen.

20. irmolars

irmolars AllStar

Mar 12, 2006
    They don't post what they fix because they don't even know themselves.:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.