1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MyDVR online scheduling for ViP612 DVRs, ViP622 DVRs, and ViP722 DVRs getting close

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by FastNOC, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1 of 35
    FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I check this page every couple days. it's not live yet, but they have linked the PDF with the instructions for when it comes out and it looks like exactly what I've been waiting for.

Here's the document http://www.dishonline.com/mydvr.pdf

You will be able to schedule remotely using dishonline.com

2. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA Cool Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Howdy, the link is still working, but they have taken down the link/information on MyDVR. What gives?

3. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Looks like they are sticking with that lame Flash interface. :eek2: I hope the next step is to come up with a mobile interface for cell phone/PDA to bring it feature parody with D*.

4. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    They may be re-considering what they planned to do. DirecTV has rolled out software for their older DVRs (like the TiVo models) that allow you to schedule timers via their site and once scheduled the information is scheduled via the satellite feed to the receiver (NOT via the internet that DISH was planning on doing). Perhaps DISH is planning the same thing. It seems more practical and does not require an internet connection to each receiver.

5. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    Whatever we get is better than what we have now so lets not get too pickey gents....,IMHO.

6. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    I'm just disappointed as it was one of biggest points of feedback I gave them during the beta.

7. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I think it's a bit trivial to find fault in using dishonline.com to schedule it. How many people do you know that don't have an internet connection but have a computer? you could do something like this with dial-up.

8. bjwilson

bjwilson Cool Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Does the ViP612 DVR have the HomePlug ethernet-over-powerline function built in like the 622/722 models do?

9. MattDL

MattDL Cool Member

Aug 18, 2008
    My understanding of it is that any ViP series receiver is Homeplug-enabled

10. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
  11. bjwilson

bjwilson Cool Member

Feb 14, 2008
    I can now confirm this. My new ViP612 automatically picked up an IP through the Homeplug that I bought and connected for my original ViP722.

12. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA Cool Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Howdy, I noticed with the new software release that they have added the Web Activation choice to the broadband set-up screen, but i'm not finding any info on the Dish Online website about Online DVR Scheduling. Does anyone know when this feature will be made available?

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Nice, but I already have a slingbox for this.

14. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    That sounds pretty cluggy solution to me. Online scheduling is better.

15. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The enabling of the network hardware is currently limited use of the "DISH Online" movie rental features. It can also eliminate the need for a direct phone since it can phone home PPV charges via the internet. I wouldn't assume that Online scheduling is close.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Perhaps, but my solution already works. It's not vaporware.

17. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Vaporware? Online Scheduling has been in many many DVR products and most workwith any browser connected to the internet. I'd rather have my DVR talk to a server, then waste bandwidth sending video to drive a remote control from miles away. Using an application you have to take the time to install if you even can on the computer you would be using. It's neat, but not at all elegant. It might work for you, but don't knock the people that want something better.

18. manzelmo

manzelmo Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Why in the hell do they have a damn blurb on the "off" screen about this? I go through the hoops to set up dishonline expecting it to work and see nothing!!! Not even a coming soon message.

Since I am still upset about the local programning guide not working right I figured this would a work around. I could be online at my local pbs and dish to schedule programs.

Anyone that beta tested this know about any firewall issues in doing this? Does the DVR poll the net to update the schedule?

Why would they use dishonline rather than disnetwork to do this?

19. rphillips187

rphillips187 AllStar

Oct 14, 2007
    Yeah I noticed that too. Don't advertise that it's now enabled when it's clearly not.

20. satgeek550

satgeek550 AllStar

May 30, 2008
    I now have the Web Activation menu on my DVR, but when does it come live, it is making me really mad...