1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mythbusters: "Alaska Special"

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    While I enjoyed the Alaska episode of Dirty Jobs, I thought this was pretty boring. I felt like I had cabin fever the whole show.

Sure, who doesn't enjoy watching an SUV explode but really that was the only meat in the show. I guess it's getting harder and harder to find really entertaining myths.

2. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, they may be running out of ideas for new myths to work on.. When I talked to Grant in Feb, he did say they had just completed an episode at Huntsville, AL's NASA location about the moon landing, etc. That show should be coming up soon.

3. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    OOOh, hopefully they do some stuff regarding the shadows that people say mean thh landing was faked.

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    For years people in this area have believed the footage was taken at Fort Irwin.

5. Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    Yeah, it was pretty ho hum. I was amazed at the size of the moose there. When they showed the one walking down the street, and it was as tall as the SUV it was standing beside, I was amazed. I couldn't imagine hitting that with my car.

6. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Its all been thoroughly debunked before. One of the channels did a special on it, showing those who think the moon landing was faked for what they are, total kooks. I am sure the mythbusters will do the same.

7. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I thought the moose one was alright... watching them tear up those cars was certainly fun....

Moose are lanky enough when you see them on photos, etc, but they're really an awkward looking animal in person - all legs!! I wasn't surprised 1 bit that going faster just busted the legs out from under the moose and the body still tore the car to bits - only it intruded farther because you were going faster....

So the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion, I though, but it's always cool to see cars torn to shreds like that!

The Cabin fever one was stupid. Talk to anyone who has spent an entire winter in Alaska - cabin fever is for real. My aunt and uncle lived in Alaska for about 20 years, and they would have to come back to Cali every year for as long as they could becuase the winters there are so brutal and you just go crazy sitting in your house....

I thought it was interesting how quickly the pond started freezing over after they blew a hole in it and let the truck fall in.

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    The only thing I found surprising is that someone had already done the research into creating a moose crash test dummy.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    So, what happens when Moose meets semi? ;)

How about debunking the tin/aluminum foil on the antenna improve reception?

How about the shaking of MythSoda, and how that causes pressurisation?

And, how about asking Frank Doyle to help debunk some FBI myths?

10. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Cabin fever doesn't take hold in 3 days! It takes a month or so. Nice try, but they didn't set it up right.

Did anyone look closely at the truck blowing up? The chain went many feet in the air and if the truck flew that high in the air, I think it was pretty well destroyed. I say we start a myth that they actually blew that thing to pieces, but the environmentalists wold be really mad at them leaving all that scrap behind, so they told us they were able to retrieve it when it really just dissapeared. :rolleyes:

11. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Yes.
    I wondered why they didn't mention it, the chain flying so far in the air.
    Also wondered why they didn't show at least some of the retrieval of the truck.

phox

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I don't know about a semi but here is a picture of what a 2 to 3 year old Bull Moose did to a SUV.

The driver hit the hind section of the moose doing about 40 miles an hour. According to the driver, the windshield did not begin to shatter for about 2 to 3 minutes after the accident.
    The driver walked away with no injuries to speak of (I had more injuries from being rear ended at 20 MPH then they did hitting a 700 pound moose). The moose on the other hand picked itself up and began to charge the vehicle and after a couple of minutes wandered into the woods of Northern Minnesota only to be put down by the driver and a passing local hunter.

For your enjoyment: The driver of the SUV's nickname is "Rocky" and this incident took place just outside of International Falls, MN (which was Jay Wards inspiration for "Frostbite Falls).

Attached Files:

• SUV.jpg
      SUV.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    They made a comment about having to stop filming because of darkness. Yeah right! That truck is still at the bottom of wherever they were at.

14. SSpectre

SSpectre Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    This episode felt like it was forced on them by Discovery. It was ok, but definitely not one of the best. They did what they could, but honestly how many testable myths are there about Alaska?

15. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I don't know, but I'll Alaska! Bud-Um-Bum :grin:

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I am not sure why they called it "Alaska Myth". There was not a single myth which I would call unique to Alaska. I've heard the story (more times then I want to admit) about the dog fetching the stick of dynamite and blowing everyone up while living in Northern Minnesota. The only difference is the dog always brought the stick back to it's master and blew him and his buddies up. What fun would that be for Jamie and Adam.

I suspect the gang wanted another free trip and this is some place they had not been yet so they worked producers to create this dumb show.

The past couple of seasons proves (at least to me) that they have run of out myths and having to resort to cheap shows such as this (& McGyver, Pirates, James Bond, & Movie Myths to name just a few). Maybe for next season (if there is another one) they can go to Arizona and test out Wile E. Coyote Myths.

17. SSpectre

SSpectre Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    It was Alaska week on Discovery. This is why I think this show was forced by Discovery.

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    They should have retested the myth where it's really cold outside, you toss out hot coffee, and it instantly freezes.

19. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Pee freezing as you walk backwards ... :O

20. Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    I think I just figured out why. I just watched the recent episode of Dirty Jobs and part of the episode was in Alaska and was about retrieving a vehicle that was underwater. I'm not positive because I can't remember what the vehicle was on Mythbusters, but the one on Dirty Jobs was an older Nissan Pathfinder I think. If the Mythbusters vehicle was a Nissan Pathfinder then they pulled a fast one on us.