1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mytvrights.com???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by loudo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    This morning I ran across this web site. Has anyone heard anything about this move?

I question it as to where they make it look like it could be done today, when we know the locals are all spot beamed, not on a national beam.

http://www.mytvrights.com/

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Looks to me like they don't know how satellite functions.

I don't see any way that they could beam all of the local station feeds on a nation-wide basis. Too many birds needed and too many orbital locations/frequencies that they just would not have access to. Cost prohibitive (especially for the limited additional revenue it would generate) and the FCC couldn't open up enough space for it.

Pipe dreams. Just pipe dreams. They're better off just getting it off the internet.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you notice they say if you are in the local dma coverage area you can get the dns feed while if you're not you are denied.
    got that backwards.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    They're worried their rights to DNS will expire. I guess to the people that don't have access to OTA or local TV through satellite this would be pretty important.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    It's all in the name of TV advertising. Personally, I would like to get the San Francisco locals in addition to the Sacramento locals. The almightly NAB, however, says no.

Perhaps we can get the President to say something. After all, look what it did to the Digital Transition.

Oh well. I'm also look at things as, "Why subscribe to cable/satellite anymore?"

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Could be nice, but on cable networks it would be next to impossible as currently they do not stream all the locals nationwide and the bandwidth requirements would be very large. On satellite it is also very difficult as spotbeams are not nationwide and to convert them to nationwide would require a lot more bandwidth since spotbeams can recycle bandwidth in other areas while nationwide beams cannot obviously.

The only really feasible way to do all the locals would be over the internet somehow IMO.

Frankly I dont see the need being there either. Most local news stations you can watch important news clips on their websites. Besides local news there is not much else the local stations differ in across the country as they all share the same national shows and feeds for the most part. Sports would also still be subject to blackouts as those are NFL/league rules.

7. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    When they develop MPEG-20 compression, it will be possible. (I think) :lol:

The name of the website indicates that TV is a right. If that were true, the government would have to get you one if you do not have one. Medical care is not even a right, but these people want TV to be a Inalienable Right. (Good Grief)

8. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    The Time is now to change this law. It is ridiculous that Satellite Customers cannot subscribe to the Local City of their Choice to receive The Major Networks like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. It is just absured that we are forced into receiving only our local market. If people are willing to subscribe to other cities local channels they should be able to. I would LOVE to receive other out of town local channels because alot of times especially in March one of my local channels carries basketball games that pre-empt network programming untill the wee hours of the morning. The NAB needs to be shut down.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can do that anytime you want. Simply set up an address in the remote city, put up an antenna or subscribe to cable or satellite there, then set up either a wire, fiber, or satellite link to backhaul the stations you want from there to wherever you are. Shouldn't cost you more than $3K or $4K a month in recurring costs, and the initial setup can probably be done for under $150K

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    My sentiments exactly.

11. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    By the time we have MPEG-20 compression we will also have ultra-mega-super-HD TV. :eek2:

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You do realise that this would cause most people to lose their local channels completely? The only way the sat companies can deliver local channels is to use spotbeam technology where the beam just covers the particular city. The they can re-use the same frequencies to deliver channels to another city some distance from the first. If they had to deliver all the local channels across the whole country it would take a whole fleet of satellites just to do that.
    What would be possible is for everyone to have access to the New York and LA network channels since they are transmitted on national transponders covering the whole country. But the NAB and your local station would never agree to that - why should they, the local station has the franchise rights to the network programming and it is what drives their advertising rates, which is their main source of income.

13. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Internet for distant news (reading :rolling: or streamed video from the affiliate) and antenna reception in your current location. Is it really harder than that?

14. MarkN

MarkN Legend

Jul 13, 2007

is that stuff I hear about internet TV and getting 1000's of channels, is that just a scam or does it really work?

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Good grief - seriously????

IF DirecTV could get enough birds in the air and
    IF DirecTV could get clearance to use the number of unique frequencies it would need to deliver ALL local stations across the entire country...

I would say, fine, let the subscribers that want to sub to some other city's local channels subscribe to them. Then don't complain that it would cost you $1,000 a month to do that to make up for the cost of providing that service to a VERY, VERY limited number of subscribers.

It just ain't going to happen, sir, law or no law. It just isn't economically feasible for a satellite company to even consider it (not to mention not physically possible given the constraints on slots/frequencies, etc.).

Get a DVR and pad the 'wee hour' programs. :)

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I this a real problem?

What am I missing?

Is it even possible to all the locals all the time everywhere?

:confused: :scratchin

Mike

17. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    if you take 101 with 32 transponders ku x 5 HD channels = 160 channels
    now something like 1600 local channels / 160 = 10 orbital slots

now 99 with 48 transponders ka x 5 HD channels = 240 channels
    again 1600 local channels / 240 = 6.6 orbital slots

not going to happen

18. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    All sport leagues will make sure this doesn't happen, even if it was possible. You would no longer have you buy the league package to get your favorite team. DTV would then not need to pay the leagues millions of dollars.

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I noticed the blog isn't up yet.

It's till new; created on 29-Jan-2009.

I can't wait to see how the blog goes. :)

Mike

20. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Not if they do blackouts by zip code. Just like they do if you subscribe to the RSN package. But the bottom line is, with the current setup and technology it is not possible to even think of nationwide locals.

These people that set that web site up either don't understand how the locals get delivered or must have had a good smoke before they did the web site. !rolling