1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name based recording?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Link, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 3, 2004 #1 of 33
    Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I know someone mentioned this awhile back but do the current DVRs have any type of name based recording ability??

Tonight (Monday), Fox had a special of American Idol and my 508 receiver recorded it. I do not recall marking it to record nor did I set a timer to record Fox on Mondays from 7-8pm. I thought it was odd that the show recorded. The show normally is on Fox Tuesdays and Wednesdays and I do have timers for those nights.

2. May 3, 2004 #2 of 33
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Must have been a fluke. There is no NBR in today's software. When that happens, you'll see plenty of fanfare regarding the bugs.

3. May 4, 2004 #3 of 33
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Maybe your wife set the timer?

4. May 4, 2004 #4 of 33
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There is limited name based recording with the older Dishplayers (7100/7200) Unfortunately there is no way I can stop it from recording the shows I don't like that have the same name. Law & Order. I like Law & Order. I like Law & Order: CI, I do not like Law & Order SVU. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to tell my unit to record the first every week two without it recording the third.

See ya
    Tony

5. May 4, 2004 #5 of 33
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I wonder how Name Based Recording is going to handle channels that have multiple time feeds such as Disney, Nickelodeon, SuperStations, Networks, HBO, etc. Would it record it on the east coast feed then record it on the west coast feed 3 hours later and so forth?

I also wonder if Name Based Recording is going to be a major announcement I heard someone talk about on the message boards.

6. May 4, 2004 #6 of 33
    Throwbot

Throwbot Legend

Dec 24, 2003
    Dish will have Name Based Recordings.
    It will be similar to "Name that tune", where you will look at the timer recording, and have to guess WTF you recorded :)

7. May 4, 2004 #7 of 33
    kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    i hope it is some waht like tivos name based where it no if it is first run and if you have it

8. May 4, 2004 #8 of 33
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Maybe the deal with the TV Guide Channel / Gemstar company will help us achieve the name based recording feature. I think they will use something like the VCR plus numbers and tie them to each show in order for the show to be recorded. Of course there will also be needed a sub menu along with the first one to decide the same features as Tivo does ; first run vs repeats etc. Other wise your hard drive will fill up with every rerun and show with that name. ( God help you if you record shows like "Friends.")

Of course my other guess would be that Charlie will finally pay Tivo and we will get Tivo software downloaded to Dish Dvr receivers. Maybe that is the big announcement that they are going to announce on the Tech Chat.:D

9. May 5, 2004 #9 of 33
    garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    They can't even get their own software to work correctly. How succesful do you think they'll be attempting to implement Tivo's?

10. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I always thought that was the point . Dish can't get THEIR software to work so Tivo ,which does work ,would be easy to download right?

I think most of the time the receivers that Dish makes do not work properly due to software limitations, hence the 2 years of software updates to get the 721 up to par. Supposedly this week or next the long awaited Dish home will finally be downloaded to the 721. I wouldn't think that Tivo software could be that hard to download even by Dish engineers.

11. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Isn't Tivo already suing echostar over their pvr's? If they try to implement a nbr scheme similar to Tivo's I don't think that would help echostar's case.

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't think it would be a straight download to get it to work ona different platfoem. Try getting OSX to work on your PC. It could be done but it would be a significant project.

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    That might be the very reason why Charlie would buy the software to settle the lawsuit. He just did the same with the Gemstar / TV Guide lawsuit. That is why we are getting the TV Guide channel added to Dish's guide soon. This would be the best thing he could do in order to make all sides happy. He already charges the dvr fee so he might as well give us something comparable for the money. Look at the Directv hd tivo. It works from the get go and even works for ota channel recording. Can you imagine a dish 921 that works with Tivo an actually records ota?;)

14. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, but right now he gets to keep the money.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the features and stability of the TiVo software, but I don't see it in the cards (a TiVo based E* PVR).

What E* might be forced to do is pay a royality to dismiss the lawsuit (multiple play/record streams) as well as licensing for name based recording.

15. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    You can't patent a feature, only the implementation of that feature. Windows and Mac OS are a perfect example. Or, diet soft drinks.

Tivo couldn't sue Dish for having name based recording, unless they used actual Tivo technology to provide it.

16. TedKaz

TedKaz Mentor

Mar 1, 2004

But aren't both Tivo and Dish PVR both based on LINUX?
    If they are it shouldn't be that difficult to port over.

17. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    Sure oh and hell froze over too

18. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    But then again it could be a settlement and tivo needs subs

19. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    Its the process in the hardware and software something about the way it records direct from stream but i dont know specifics

20. reedl

reedl Mentor

May 10, 2002
    Actually look at the USPTO Website: http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/howtopat.htm a Utility patent is a "new and useful process" which can cover Named based recording.

For example the presentation of Gemstar's guide is not the programming of it, but the presentation of it.

Reedl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.