1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Name your old legacy receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by B Newt, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1 of 12
    B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    What brand old dtv receivers you are still using today. Any brand except directv brand. And what type of tv its hooked to.

I an using an RCA DRD480RE receiver hooked to a 27" tube type tv.
    Still works like a champ.

2. Mar 2, 2013 #2 of 12
    Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My parents are still using my original rare Hughes branded HR10.

3. Mar 2, 2013 #3 of 12
    BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    I had to retire my last 2 RCA's as they told me at the end of March they would no longer work...
    They were great boxes though and were very reliable...

4. Mar 2, 2013 #4 of 12
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While no longer in service I still have my D10, a Huges HIRD-D1 Silver Edition, and a Huges HIRD-E4 Platinum Edition.

5. Mar 2, 2013 #5 of 12
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have my ORIGINAL Hughes HIRD receiver in service. It's hooked to a stereo system in my computer room and a 5" B & W TV for the song titles!!! All I use it for is Sonic Tap (DMX).

So far, no word from DirecTV about it being taken out of service because of network changes but I'm sure they will get around to Wisconsin and offer me a replacement D12 sooner or later....or knowing how DirecTV operates today maybe one day it will just quit working with no advance notice. If they do that, maybe my account will also stop working since I have no commitment and those DISH ads look very tempting.

6. Mar 3, 2013 #6 of 12
    B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    I havnt heard anything from dtv about my RCA unit. My unit has been working like a champ, unlike my finicky HR-100.

Today I was watching ID channel on my HR-100 and the picture started to break up like rain fade then got the loss of signal error message on tuner 2. My SD channels worked fine. Did a red button reset and worked fine after that. I wish how I can make the receiver switch to tuner 1 when this problem pops up????

7. Mar 4, 2013 #7 of 12
    xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I have a Tivo unit that is retired. SD unit. Then the oldest beside that is R15. lol

8. Mar 4, 2013 #8 of 12
    Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    my RCA DRD102RW has been pressed into RV duty on a relative's account after they purchased a replacement access card, where it has been happily stationed for the last 7 or 8 years.

9. Mar 6, 2013 #9 of 12
    Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I have an RCA DRD 420re :)

I havent ever had a box as good as this one..... (SPEED COULD NOT BE BETTER)

Frankly i dont care if i cant see the channel listings @ the end of March (I cant see most of them now anyway (Most have been converted to the new one)) I love this BOX!

10. ikoniq

ikoniq Cool Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    IIRC only the Legacy MPG receivers will quit working outright. APG should be minimally affected, if at all. That being said, the oldest IRD I have is a D12.

11. jporter12

jporter12 New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    I have 2 DirecTiVos that will be "retiring" tonight with the installation of the Genie, and a Mini. Both TV's have been upgraded to HD the past year, so it is finally time to get more HD content beyond streaming and Blu-ray.

12. andy A

andy A AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    Sony A-2, which I deactivated as of yesterday 07/09/2013 because of the upcoming "no more support" and replaced it with an H24-700. It was an excellent receiver, built like a tank. Back then we had it hooked to a Mitsubishi 40in tube tv that must have weighed approx 300lbs. Wish I could remember when I bought it, but I think it was back in 1996 or possibly earlier, came as self install kit with dish, receiver, and hardware. I do remember the cost being approx 600 dollars for the self install kit back then, quite a sizeable chuck in those days. The dish had a little red LED on the dual LNB which helped with aiming the dish properly. Still using that dish today for any SD receivers in the house. Also loved the remote that came with the A-2, it was a little large but it was RF capable, learning remote, and had the joystick which I really miss.

Getting ready to reactivate my old DSR-7000 for dedicated slingbox usage, using an old Hughes GAEBO with it now.