1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NASA 283 in HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tbpb3, Mar 19, 2009.

1. tbpb3

tbpb3 Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    I know that I am a nerd but I would love Directv to carry the HD feed from NASA.

2. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    +1

and I predict at least 5 "waste of bandwidth" posts on the first 2 pages if this makes it that far

3. WERA689

WERA689 DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Are you saying that 283 IS in HD, or that you (as do I) WISH it was in HD?
    Just seeking a little clarification here...

4. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    Does NASA broadcast anything in HD other than the shuttle launch?

5. LORETTA

LORETTA Cool Member

Sep 16, 2007
    HDnet does carry the launch in HD, but I do believe that NASA is getting ready to start carring their mission feeds in HD. Like you, I would really love that

6. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing NASA in HD.I don't care for HDNets coverege of NASA launches because their talking heads won't shut up.That guy was annoying so I watched the last launch on NASA because of that.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I too would love to have the NASA channel in HD.

8. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'd be all over it. :D

There is a dedicated "NASA TV in HD" thread on one of the space boards I follow - the guy who started it tracks the NASA up- and downlinks for when they're providing HD signals so that those with the right gear can watch it.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, the thread title is misleading. Only HDNet shows the shuttle launches in HD currently. I too would love to see NASA TV HD.

10. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    NASA in HD could be good, maybe with D12.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Any more detailed hint ? ;)

12. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Yeah, that would be great! Then we could see all the UFO's... err.. "artifacts" flying around in the background better.

Oh... I forgot... they remove all that before broadcast. :grin:

13. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    fyi , nasa tv hd

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With the end of shuttle missions coming soon, followed not too long after by the end of the ISS, the timing isn't great. I'm not sure if they'd have enough content to justify the upgrade, and given the above, it may be some time before there is more content available.

15. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Well today they were testing a new HD hand held camera that was feeding HD down to Houston. We were seeing the pictures in sd.

16. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    ISS isn't going to end anytime soon. Construction will end but it will remain in use for a decade or more to come.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    And dont forget the Hubble, bet they could come up with all sorts of HD from that.

And for the person who asked, To watch it directly from NASA, you need a 6' dish, a $400 HD FTA receiver, and a good shot at 72 degrees west without any trees blocking.

18. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    Add me to the list of wanting this channel... :)

19. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I want this channel too!

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well...

For me personally I can take or leave NASA in HD, for the simple reason that I've never been truly excited or impressed with the activities of NASA's manned space programs since Apollo. When that program concluded and the next much more challenging one to go to Mars was canceled. NASA's manned missions have largely floundered to me, without a real goal to shoot for.

Not blaming NASA mind you. With the winding down of the disastrous Vietnam war fueling an already disgruntled, disillusioned public and a budget ax wielding congress wanting to shift government spending for social programs at the time. NASA had neither the interest, funds or national commitment for such a major undertaking as a manned space mission to Mars.

But nevertheless without such high goals to pursue it doesn't leave manned space flight a real purpose to exist.