1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASA Channel Picture Quality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dwrats_56, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Is it me or does the NASA channel picture quality look a lot better since they moved to channel 283?

At least I think so.

And finally, I wish they would broadcast NASA TV in HD.

2. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I haven't looked at the station since it moved over, but it would certainly be nice to be in HD. It's one station I'm looking forward to.

3. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Just in case anyone doesn't know...

HDNet broadcasts the NASA HD feed of shuttle launches.

Including the (rare and spectacular night time) Endeavor launch tonight/tomorrow (Tues., 2am EDT).

Set your DVR's!

4. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    It wasn't that spectacular. The shuttle disappeared into clouds about 5-8 seconds after launch. I was looking forward to this night launch, but now realize daylight launches look better IMHO.

5. bscott

bscott Legend

Jun 4, 2004
    We were down in Florinda last month and we went to the Cape to see the launch of Atlantis. It was pretty spectacular. It amazed me how much brighter the plume was in person than on TV but then again I'm sure that the TV camera's adjust for exposure. I bet a night time launch would be fantastic!

6. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    Not really seeing that much difference in PQ between the two channel locations.

pf

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I wish NASA HD would happen. The camera views that HDNet uses for shuttle launches are great and look excellent. Most of these cameras are NASA TV cameras, I believe. Really, the only SD camera view I recall seeing today for the launch was the one on the fuel tank. HDNet does a nice job with shuttle launches, but the nightime launch suffered due to the clouds.

8. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    I agree n3ntj, I wish that the NASA channel would go HD. And, HDNet does a nice job with the shuttle launches and landings. NASA in HD has rekindled my interest in space flight, both manned and commercial.

9. flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan Godfather

Feb 16, 2005
    The only problem with HDnet launches - some dufus talks over everything. I prefer to listen to the NASA tv feed than listen to an HDnet talking head.

I hate I missed the launch this morning. Got home late from traveling and my head hit the pillow about 0.3 seconds after coming in the door. Did not set DVR.

10. Interceptor

Interceptor Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    flyingtigerfan:

Replay is on right now.

OK, so it's not on anymore...

11. bigref

bigref Legend

Sep 11, 2007
    I agree, the people that talk on HDNet are some of the worse commentators I have ever heard. And a lot of the info given is incorrect.

Sorry there were low clouds last night for the launch, but some of the camera shots leading up to the launch and the launch itself was GREAT!

12. tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com Godfather

Jul 12, 2006
    I also can't stand that Dobbs guy. I wish there was a way to turn off his chatting and constantly referring to the shuttle as a female("she" "her"), last I checked the shuttle was a machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.