1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASA TV on Channel 286

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rbgator95, Mar 15, 2013.

1. rbgator95

rbgator95 Mentor

May 31, 2007
    Hi

While looking for a live event scheduled on NASA TV, I noticed that the DISH feed of NASA TV on Channel 286 is the Education Channel, not the main (Public) channel that covers live events. According to http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html there are three channels available via their source feed on AMC-18C: Public (101), Education (102) and Media (103). This may be moot with the ISS and occasional unmanned launches being the only "live" events, but just wondering how to ask the folks at DISH if they can change the source feed for channel 286 to the Public channel - without going through a response of "Thank you for requesting a new channel" and getting them to understand the adjustment that (in my opinion) could be beneficial.

Thanks!

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is definitely the Education channel - the programming showing now is the one shown on NASA's schedule page:
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html
    The EPG says "Education Hour" for every time block in the EPG.

Perhaps DISH chose to retransmit the Education channel because it is in SD? It was the "Public Channel" in the past ... cropped for SD after NASA went HD on the main channel. It has been a while since I tried to watch the channel (the Mars landing).

3. gef2509

gef2509 New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    I believe the main SD "public channel" switched to the SD "education channel" once NASA went full time HD with the "public channel".

Although the DISH channel 286 EPG says "Education Hour" for all time blocks as James mentioned, occasionally they do have ISS mission updates & a couple of other event broadcasts but that's about it. Unfortunately, you have to go to the NASA TV schedule that James showed to see when those events will be on.

There has been a hand full of people on various forums discussing DISH getting the HD "public channel" on but they don't seem interested. Perhaps not enough consumer interest. I would also like to find a good way to request the folks at DISH to get the "public channel" on some way some how.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Maybe they will if there is ever another 'live' event in our lifetime.