1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nascar return to NBC 2015

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by LMckin, Jul 25, 2013.

1. LMckin

LMckin Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    Nascar return to NBC in 2015

ABC/ESPN/tnt is out after 2014 season

There an news report about it on usa today's. Website

2. ChuckZ

ChuckZ Mentor

Aug 17, 2009
    I was in the middle of creating the following , but ya beat me to it. Anyway...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/07/23/nascar-espn-turner-fox-broadcast-tv-deal-2015/2578997/

As many have already read, NBC will take over alot of the second half of the NASCAR racing season starting in 2015....with Fox continuing the first half. Going away will be Turner Sports (TNT) and ESPN. I really wish it had been Fox that was going away because of Michael Waltrip and his blabber mouth on the truck races, the Cup prerace and cut-ins during the Cup races...as my mother used to say, "he was vaccinated with a Victrola needle" - and "he can talk all day and never say a word"!

I read in another news article that NBC will be doubling the monies paid by ESPN for their current contract. Oh great, that means that our DTV bill will be going up yet again because ya know NBC will be harping for more money per customer and probably before the 2015 contract begins. Also, now that ESPN will bow out, do ya think we'll get a reduction in our bill for them? YEAH - RIGHT!!! They'll just contract for shows like cowboy rodeos, wood whittling championships and the like. With NBC, CBS and FOX going with full time sports channels, we may get more sports programming, but how much more can be covered that isn't already being presented?

Is there any way possible for us to continue to see the races and NOT pay the exorbinate fees being paid by the broadcast companies...other than getting some of them using OTA reception? Even if anyone used OTA, they would still have to pay their monthly DTV bill, which would include the on-air races. Why should we continue to pay the outlandish fees (football, baseball and basketball included) just because the networks pay way too much for the contracts. It's kinda like "Pay it and they'll still follow. If many decided not to watch NASCAR anymore, we'd still have to pay for the NASCAR contracts and shows with DTV...unless they went to an ala-carte system - but thats another topic.

ChuckZ
    Harvest, AL

3. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
  4. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I have been saying for years that this is a huge flaw with the current system and why a la carte needs to take over. The current system allows the big six media companies to get into ridiculous bidding wars for sports properties and they are paying it with your money, not theirs. They know they can't lose because they will just jack up the rates for whatever sports channel they have and since there's no a la carte, people can't say no to it.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    All I can say is :(

6. LMckin

LMckin Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    It a wonder that CBS didn't bid on nascar races I kindly wish it would go back where each track decide who would televises their event

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and what dump races on to the low pickup CBS sports network? No way they let a RACE mess up football or 60 minutes