1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR - Want to get to the next "level".....

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Earl Bonovich, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Hey NASCAR....

You want to solidify yourself as the #4 major sport? Or even possible jump into the #3 slot (behind NFL and MLB)....

Have a ROAD RACE once a month...

I am a very very very casual fan of NASCAR... kinda just watch it when it was in HD and there is nothing else on...

But yesterday's ROAD RACE had me fairly glued to the TV... That was so cool... and is closer to what "I" think racing is all about.

The standard going around in a circle, is more about technology of the cars,
    and the small handfull time you can attempt to make a pass.... very predictable for the most part.... and very prone to the best drivers on the day getting knocked out, as at those speeds one little bump... you are done...

The road race though.... a lot more strategy... not just in the pits, but by the drivers... getting the right angles, the bumping at the lower speeds...

I wish I had Hotpass going yesterday, because with all the action going on... I am sure some of the extra audio and camera angles were worth it.

So.... please NASCAR... get one of these road races once a month on your schedule......

-----

What I also found very cool... the blimp angle, made the race look a lot like our plastic "race-track" games of old.... and almost gave it a video game feel, and I was yelling at the screen at one point.... "There... There... that's the line, get in there.... ect"

2. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    + 1. I am also a casual fan of NASCAR. I did catch part of the race and it was definately more interesting. I did have a great deal of fun in Talladega this past April at the race. It is something different in person. The only thing I didn't care for was the traffic which was to be expected and the "beer bath" when Gordon won.

3. B.A.T.S

B.A.T.S Mentor

Oct 25, 2006
    At the very least there should be a road race within the "chase" format. Take out one of the cookie cutter tracks and add a road race. That way all the different tracks are included in the "chase".

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Even the wife yesterday mentioned how nice it was to see them turn right every now and then.;)

5. B.A.T.S

B.A.T.S Mentor

Oct 25, 2006

6. stogie5150

stogie5150 Godfather

Feb 21, 2006

You need to start watching some sportscar races, Earl. There's a whole world of racing out there besides Taxicabs...:lol:

ALMS, LeMans, Speed Touring cars, Grand Am sports cars..lots of non-open wheel road racing out there that NEVER sees an oval. Some of us prefer it that way.

7. bobsloop

bobsloop AllStar

Nov 22, 2006
    I am a Nascar fan and I wish they would drop the road races. They are the worst races of the season. Replace them with two short track races at night. Those are much more fun. The tempers are off the charts in those races.

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    :)

I loved watching some of the GP events....
    Not sure the name of it, but the one when they have like 4 different classes of cars... all racing at the same time (Like the Corvette and Porche and others)

9. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm not as diehard as I used to be when it comes to NASCAR (I guess having a wife and kids will change your priorities, huh...)... but I sort of agree with you...

I actually enjoy the road races, just cause it's something different and you get to see them do other things, but, technology has evolved to the point where road racing is not really racing... No more clutch needed on these cars, so you don't get to see the mad skills of a driver working 3 pedals at one time (Ricky Rudd was a MASTER at that back in the day)... There are really ver few places to pass on a road course (basically 2 places you can pass at Sonoma, turn 11 and turn 6, I think)... so most of the day it's following the other drivers around in a circle....

The flip side of it though is that race strategy can make or break a day... JP Montoya and Jeff Gordon both made HUGE jumps in the running order yesterday because of their strategy.. of course, if the race is 10 laps longer, they'll both find themselves at the ass end of the pack, but because they worked the numbers and had things fall in line, JP got a win and Jeff got a 7th place finish...

So from that standpoint, the race as a whole is pretty cool to watch, but I don't care for the racing all that much!

And I do agree that another night short track race would be very, very cool!

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Road Courses are fun (or at least used to be fun) to watch on TV, but going to the race sucks . Fans don’t see much at all, and if there’s an accident out of your view, you’re waiting forever for the cars to come around. Been to the Watkins Glenn race 10 years straight (1990-1999) great to experience Winston Cup racing live, seeing the driver introductions, meeting pit crews and there is nothing like the feel of all that horsepower just going through your body, but as a former hardcore fan, I would have rather went to Dover, Loudon or even Pocono, Darlington will always be my #1. We sat by the start-finish line every year, being across from the pits was cool.

Best road course race ever, Sears Point ’93, Bodine, Irvin, Rudd, those final 2 or 3 laps, man they were racing hard, over under around, they all should have wrecked. Not this follow the leader garbage in NASCAR these days. And these guys kept it clean not like the nimrods racing today.

Sears Point and The Glenn are the only two Road Courses and the circuit, there is also the old Riverside Raceway and the exhibition track in Japan. Another thing I never liked about Road Courses, is that a lot of drivers suck at them, Back when I was a Jarrett fan, I was just happy if I stayed on the lead lap. Some drivers just don’t race and they put in the ringers.

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Road races are marginally watchable on TV and absolutly valueless in person. They are not NASCAR.

If you like road course racing, then there are plenty of racing serieses for you.

12. stogie5150

stogie5150 Godfather

Feb 21, 2006

You got it. Once I started watching Indy/Champcar/Formula One and sportscars, I rarely watch Taxicabs anymore. Too controlled and predictable. ;)

Two or more classes at a time is done in a couple of series. ALMS ( American LeMans Series) Grand Am,Speed Touring cars just to name a few.

Welcome to the world of No-Na$car, friend! :)

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    My problem with a lot of the road racing out there is that it's really hard to follow on TV. I mean, the image of the car doesn't have to be very big for you to know that Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart's car is coming into view. But in a lot of the other series, there are a dozen black cars, a dozen red cars, a dozen white cars with numbers so small they're illegible.

I *do* believe a major factor in NASCAR's success is, for lack of a better term, the artwork on the cars. I watch the Indy 500 and on my 27" set you couldn't really tell the difference between teammates because their cars were the same colors and there just wasn't a lot of "real estate" to pain a number big enough to see!

14. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    "TRUE" NASCAR fans will tell you (tongue in cheek).... it's BEER and BROADS and HOT DAYS ......

I vote for less commercials and more "fan" shots ... more day races of course .. can't see the gals in the dark

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Sounds like the Cubs....

More fans of the the "atmosphere" and event around the sport being played on the field.....

16. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    As that was my exact experience in Talladega

17. twistedT

twistedT Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    I am a Huge NASCAR fan, what an awesome race. What made it even better was the crystal clear TNTHD coverage. After last weeks crappy PQ, this week was so much better. Everyone jumped all over TNT last week, but let me be the first one to say: MUCH better this week. The PQ made it fell like you where right in the race, on the edge of the couch. I can't wait for Hotpass in HD next year!! It's Good to be a Nascar fan!!

18. stogie5150

stogie5150 Godfather

Feb 21, 2006
    The original TNT-HD feed was a 55mbps feed. That must have been spectatular looking first-generation...:D

19. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    Woot! I get to be the contrarian here.

Ok, not the absolute contrarian, but maybe a voice of reason to Earl's original comments.

Sorry if I'm repeating some of what others said above, but I wanted to add my thoughts as my own, so I'm ignoring most of the replies so far....

Anyway, as I told a co-worker -- who is a NASCAR fan -- today, the race this past weekend (at Infineon) is one of the ones that frustrates the crap outta me as a NASCAR fan. Not because it's a road race, not because there's not enough distance to the race, but because there aren't enough opportunities to pass and actually *race* on that track.

Add more room to the track (widen it as much as possible) and perhaps a few more long straight aways with plenty of room for passing, and I'd be much happier.

I enjoy the issues of pit strategies, fuel strategies and such. Yes, that part was fascinating, but it really didn't show me who the best driver is. Which driver is capable of making passes, which drivers are willing to squeeze their car into a slightly wider turn and try to pass the person in front of them, or block out the person that is trying to get past them.

To me the short track races (Bristol and Martinsville) are my most hated because there just is no room for racing. It's like tossing a bunch of marbles in a dryer and watching them spin round and round. Thanks but no thanks. Give me more room for drivers to make moves and I'm very happy.

Yes, I still want fuel strategies to matter, but I also want room for the drivers to make moves and actually race either other rather than just follow each other around the track.

As is, I could just as easily put each driver on the track, have them run against the clock, and declare a winner based on who ran the fastest laps. If you really have to make it slightly more random, then spin a wheel or toss a dice to decide which drivers were going to be affected by bad equipment and/or poor pitstops, and you still get the same results.

I'm not asking for every track to be a super speedway, but I want these oddball tracks to offer room for racing and passing, and not just lines of traffic that only ever change based upon what happens in the pits, or based upon what happens when someone drops some debris on the tracks.

20. stogie5150

stogie5150 Godfather

Feb 21, 2006
    Reason for all that is because NA$CAR sees to it that all the cars are EXACTLY the same. Which is why I lost interest in it. If you need 5 miles of stretch to find out whether or not you can pass a car, dontcha think the cars might be a little TOO equal? There used to be a series for that, called IROC. Since NA$CAR is so equal now there is no need for it anymore.

Sportscars, Indycars, and the like are not just won on the track, they're won in the engineering departments of the various race teams, too.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, they're just different. NA$CAR has left its diehard fans in the dust. I wish them well.