1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Air and Space Museum

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Cholly, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I Just got back from a trip up North to visig my daughter and family. On my way home, I decided to visit the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles airport, and I'm very glad I did. I just wish I were younger, because I wore myself out in the four hours I was there.:(
    I spent about a half hour looking down at the simulator and vintage aircraft section, then went to the tour desk on the lower level to join a 2 hour guided tour, which I highly recommend. After the tour, I spent a while retracing my steps, especially in the Space hangar, where I revisited the shuttle Discovery. Then I went to the commercial aviation section to take a closer look at the prototype Boeing 707, which I had seen flying around Seattle on test flights in 1955, when I was in the Army.
    I took well over 50 pictures of the various aircraft and space vehicles while there. I had to quit early vecause my legs were failing me agter 4 hours of trudging around and I was exhausted.
    One could easily spend two days at this marvelous museum and probably not see all the exhibits. For those of you planning to visit the Washington area, budget a day or two to visit the museum, which is located on Va. route 28, south of the Dulles airport. You won't regret it. Admission is free, but you have to pay a $15.00 parking fee.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
  3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I haven't been to DC since thy opened Udvar, but as for the National Mall, growing up that was my favorite museum. The last time I did do DC, as an adult, it was missing something.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And Dayton has a fantastic air show as well in July (done for this year). One year they had the Blue Angels, Golden Knights, Thunderbirds and a Canadian team all at the same show. Though looking now, that was 2003 so was the 100th anniversary of heavier than air flight.

6. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Thanks Cholly,I'm actually planning a trip there in 2 weeks !

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Was down there this past weekend as well. Our daughter and S-I-L live about 15 minutes away from A&S. While we have been there numerous times in the past I hadn't seen Space Shuttle Discovery which was our main objective. VERY impressive. A few cell phone photos attached.

Attached Files:

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Discovery is new ... Enterprise was there before. In April NASA swapped out the shuttles and sent Enterprise to NYC. The hand off ceremony was impressive with both shuttles nose to nose.

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yes, I am quite aware of that. We saw Enterprise at A&S last year but as I am sure you are aware, Discovery, unlike Enterprise, actually flew in space and was left in it's "last flight" configuration (missing tiles & re-entry burns). We also saw Enterprise & 747 flying just about a mile from our home north along US RT 1 and then a few weeks ago floating up the Hudson to pier 86.

10. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Here's a link to the photos I got of Enterprise flying up the Hudson ... truly amazing sight! I had a phenomenal view from the top of the cliffs in Weehawken. Outstanding indeed.

[post]3011788[/post]

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I live close to the Dulles A&S Museum and have been there a bunch of times. It is a terrific museum. I haven't been there since Discovery got there, but will be back soon enough.

- Merg

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Maybe you know the answer to this. As we are going off the RT 28 exit to get there there is a sign (if you bear left) to what seems like another museum area. Bear right for the main U-H area bear left for (forgot what they called it :)). Trying to figure out what the other area is.

13. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    It's a fantastic museum. I was lucky enough to be at a corporate function there after hours, and we had dinner in the room with the Space Shuttle. Unforgettable.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Were you coming from Rt 28 North or South? The road that goes to the east when you get off of Rt 28 doesn't go anywhere right now. Head west and it runs straight into U-H. I believe to the east there will eventually be office complexes.

- Merg

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    It's the Sully Historic site. I didn't try going to it.
    Here's a link to it: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/sully/

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Completely forgot about that house. It used to be a direct access to Rt 28, but when they built the interchange for the A&S Museum they closed off the entrance. I didn't realize that they moved the entrance over to the road built for the A&S Museum.

- Merg

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yes, that was it! Bear left the sign points there, bear right it takes you to U-H. I thought that maybe it was a hanger with old aircraft like they have at Wright-Pat in OH or the A&S graveyard.