1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Geographic HD

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by ebaltz, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Any more news on the National Geographic HD channel coming to Dish soon? What about HGTV? Any others in the pipeline?

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    I'm with you, but I think the answer will be: "Hold your water for a few more weeks." My wag is sometime between 5-31 and 6-10.:D

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Has HGTV HD even launched yet? I couldnt find anything about it on their website. The reason I ask is if it isnt out in HD yet, theres no way E* or D* can carry it..

;)

4. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004

Launched April 10, 2006

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_44656,00.html

But I am even more interested in National Geographic

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The next question is... does anyone else have it yet? Even if the channel launched, doesn't mean anyone else has it. ESPN2HD was technically launched for months before anyone picked it up.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That looks like a press release SAYING it will launch on APril 10, did it actually launch, or is this just another marketing press release..Marketing promises things yesterday, that cant be done....

7. TheTony

TheTony Mentor

Jan 6, 2006
    It's a television schedule, not a press release (the last link, at least).

8. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Yeah supposedly it is the schedule of what they are actually broadcasting in HD on a daily basis.

Does anyone have either of these stations? Who knows.

9. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I'm guessing we'll get the new HD channels just in time for Charlie to brag about them on the next Charlie Chat. I think that's sometime early in June. And he did promise them in the second quarter, so that fits too.

10. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    National Geographic Channel
    Great news! The National Geographic Channel is available on Dish Network's America's Top 150 Package. Tune in to channel 186 for programming with passionate storytelling, spectacular imagery, and expert eyewitness accounts, or call 1-800-333-DISH for subscription details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NGCHD
    National Geographic Channel High Definition (NGCHD) is not currently offered by Dish Network. Please call 877-77NGCHD (877-776-4243) to request that NGCHD be added to your channel line-up!

From National Geographic site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
  12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There's only about 5 places (maybe I'm exaggerating a little) where you can live and get Verizon FIOS TV... so not a big thing just yet.

It sounds nice, but since I can't get it in this area, Verizon having a channel doesn't put pressure on Dish or Time Warner to get it around here :(

13. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

I think Fios is actually just an Urban Legend. :lol:

14. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    And they have

821-Wealth TV HD
    822-National Geographic Channel HD
    823-MTV HD
    831-Cinemax HDTV
    833-TMC HDTV
    834-Starz HDTV

Which Dish doesn't yet. Sure would like to have everything that is available.

15. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I have a feeling that dish will have these channels a long time before SBC lets Verizon into its controlled area. I have checked serveral areas and FIOS seems to be more myth, than fact in most areas.

16. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yep.

I'm in a BellSouth area... and am pretty sure hell will freeze over about the time Verizon fiber comes into this part of town!

17. dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    About 15 suburbs of the 6th largest DMA, DFW. Also, in parts of Washington, DC and Southern Californa, Florida Golf Coast, and oh yea, that #1 DMA New York City....

I'd call that more than urban legand...

BTW, not a bad expansion since they started in Keller, TX only last fall.

18. grooves12

grooves12 Godfather

Oct 27, 2005
    SBC/ATT is also working on rolling out FIOS and offering TV service... they are just further behind than Verizon. My guess is that almost all the major players in the phone market will eventualy roll out TV services, as bundling seems to be a major revenue generator for the cable companies, and the phone companies can't afford to fall behind, with landline revenue disappearing quickly.

19. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    SBC/ATT has partnered with Dish already, you can get a ATT/Yahoo DSL with DishNetwork for your TV viewing pleasure. Heck even Cingular is onboard. Bad thing is I have accounts with all of them, but don't want the bundle as I don't want to lose my waiver, for some unforseen reason.

20. jerryez

jerryez Godfather

Nov 15, 2002
    I live on the Florida Gulf Coast and we do NOT have it here yet.!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.