1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Memorial Day Concert

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Sharkie_Fan, May 25, 2009.

1. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    By chance, I happened to notice on our local PBS station the National Memorial Day Concert was showing last night at 2:00 am, so I set it up to record, and the family is watching it this morning.

If your PBS station happens to re-air it, tape it. It really is a touching tribute to the men and women who have lost their lives in defense of our country, as well as those men and women who are still putting themselves in harms way to defend our country.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That this is not on even one of the "big 4" networks without commercials always disturbs me. It has become particularly disturbing the past few years as we American's need to see the disabled vets of and their families that we are not adequately supporting.

We watch this every year as part of our Memorial Day observance as I noted in the In Memoriam: U.S. Armed Forces 1776 - 2009 thread.

EDIT: Those of you who live in areas that receive more than one PBS station may be able to see this even if you missed it last night. For instance, in the San Francisco Bay Area it will be on KRCB Channel 22 Wednesday at 8:30 pm even thought it has already aired on the primary Bay Area PBS station KQED 9.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I watched it live last night and it was wonderful, beautiful and heartwrenching. It also saddens me, Phrelin, that our major networks don't broadcast this.

Throughout the week last week, Glenn Beck, Hucakbee and several other Fox News hosts had military heroes featured on their programs. Some of the heroes were there and others were represented by grieving family members. It is always good to take a moment and remember, give thanks, and pray.

BTW - I did not know that Joe Mantegna was such a devoted supporter of veterans, disabled veterans and the like. It seems he is much like Gary Sinise, and keeps it quiet. Another kind of hero.

I had already donated to The Wounded Warrior Project, Operation Shoebox and Pinups for Vets before watching this beautiful tribute, but after crying my way through most of the broadcast, I had to go on-line and add a few other organizations that send care packages to those who are deployed.

Thanks for sharing this with us Sharkie and Phrelin.

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This was Joe's 7th year. The Washington Post had a short interview article on Montegna last year:
    EDIT: The PBS web site on this show has links to ways one can help our vets.

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I forgot to bring this thread up again. If the show is repeated on your PBS station, record or watch it live. For some reason this year it got to me as the bugler started taps after a poignant piece.

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I just received this letter from a dear family friend today - a WWII B-25 gunner. Apparently, he had sent it out in the past, but I must have been left off the mailing list. It is pretty moving - about the dedication of the National WWII memorial in DC.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I know I'm bringing this up giving short notice, but in case someone wants to watch the "2012 National Memorial Day Concert" tonight.

Gary Sinise and Joe Mantegna co-host the concert honoring men and women of U.S. military services. Guests include Daughtry, Natalie Cole, Trace Adkins, Jessica Sanchez, Ellen Burstyn, Dennis Franz and retired Gen. Colin L. Powell.

It is usually quite moving.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    So much courage and honor in one place, and so often neglected. It is a powerful event. And today Rolling Thunder, the motorcycle riders, rolled into Washington to pay their respects to the fallen brave in their Ride To the Wall. Makes you proud to be an American.

My uncle charged up the hill at Iwo Jima with his Marine buddies and lived to tell the tale. He was literally keeping us all free.

He was no more brave or honorable than any soldier today under fire, at risk. Any wounded, any loss of life is equal in any war. You don't judge the soldier's heart and soul and love of his country on the war he's fighting. They're all heroes. Equally. From Normandy to Ia Drang to Khandahar.

[Political commentary removed]