1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

National PBS/CW

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Whammer1249, May 14, 2013.

1. Whammer1249

Whammer1249 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2010
    I receive my local channels. I am also grandfathered to receive the 4 major out of market national networks. Are their different standards to add the national PBS and CW than there are for the 4 major networks? Or because I already receive the locals is there no way to add them?

2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Because you receive locals, your waiver would probably be denied.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    there's no way to add them. Your grandfather rights to the national networks are "frozen", and under current FCC rules you are not allowed the national PBS/CW networks.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Should he ever lose PBS or CW, he most definitely can apply for the DNS feeds of the stations. I have all major DNS feeds as well as both CW and PBS and my locals as I am grandfathered in as well.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    If you lose PBS or CW because you move and they are not available as part of your locals, you can apply for the national feeds, using the current waiver rules.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Just curious.. we've received PBS National on channel 379 (or around there) for years... it still surprises me that this channel isn't offered in HD yet.

7. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    What do you mean by "grandfathered"? I had the DNS stations too back before DirecTV carried the Reno stations (except for FOX because it was owned by a DB from San Francisco who denied all waivers regardless of signal strength). After we got the Reno stations, we lost the DNS stations. I was told we could not have access to those stations because we had locals.

8. Whammer1249

Whammer1249 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Before DirecTV added our locals (for an extra $3/mo.) they sent a letter saying that we had the right to keep the DNS stations, but we MUST subscribe to the locals when they are added. The letter said that if we were to ever drop the DNS stations, we would not be able to ever get them back.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    When the newest Satellite (DNS) laws were written, it was stated that anyone who had DNS feeds by the day the law went into effect and your DMA's local channels were not available yet, you were grandfathered in and DirecTV was not required to remove them when your DMA's locals did launch down the road.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY