1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Native Output

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by wingman1659, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1 of 14
    wingman1659

wingman1659 New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Lansing, MI
    I realize some of you could care less about the lack of native output on the Hopper DVR. This isn't for you. For those of us who would prefer a native option there is still hope.

Dish's official comment:
    "As far as a pass through setting, we list the 1080, 720 and 480 options for the general consumer to make it easier for them because so many do not understand the native setting. However, this setting may come in future updates, but have not made any announcements on this. As Hopper goes into more homes with high-end installations then the need for the native setting option grows.”

So let's get this to happen! Even if it's in a sub menu or hidden to keep the convenience the way it is.
    For those of you who might not know, if you use a new-ish dedicated receiver for surround sound your image processor in that is almost surely superior to what's in the hopper.

2. Jun 6, 2013 #2 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Is there any scientific facts ? I wouldn't say so in such widely statement. Perhaps some hi-end AVR gear ?

3. Jun 6, 2013 #3 of 14
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As many of DISH's HD channels aren't full HD, you're already getting a certain amount of conversion from the Hopper whether you know it or not. It is likely better to do it once with a device that understands its input than twice.

4. Jun 6, 2013 #4 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I hope you understand pitfalls to not write such sentences like above ? :thats:

If not, I would help you ... a little ... sat companies altering source stream beyond of your imagination and capabilities to make it nice by third parties... there are long enormous GOPs, interlaced sequence changing on a fly or at commercial breaks, I'm not telling about regular wrong PTS/DTS time marks, etc, etc,etc ... Try to analyze the stream by some free tools and you'll see how many problem in it

5. Jun 7, 2013 #5 of 14
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Maybe that all means something in pidgin Elbonian, but it sounds like you're trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes by typing a semi-random mish-mash of words and acronyms that sound official.

Please respond in American English or some much closer derivative.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jun 7, 2013 #6 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Never mind, elbonian used for TS, not for you :D

7. wingman1659

wingman1659 New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Lansing, MI
    since dish doesn't disclose the chip used for video output I can't tell you for sure. I know that my middle range Onkyo had a great chip for video. I'd go so far too say that if your receiver has analog conversion to HDMI it probably has a better chip than the joeys.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    we have the knowledge what chips ... it's Broadcom's ... see here, in many posts, exactly models for each dish model

9. wingman1659

wingman1659 New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Lansing, MI
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/audiocomponentreviews/ig/Pioneer-VSX-1020-K-HQV-Tests/

a review that shows all the types of signals and resolutions that go into scaling or converting before it ever reaches your tv.
    I have nor can't directly compare the video chips but broadcom is hardly known for quality video processing. If your receiver does happen to upconvert analog to HDMI the dedicated chip in the receiver is better than the hopper or the Joey.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    hardly known to millions of users (DTV, dish, etc) :D

I would propose to Mr.Silva to take some of current DVRs (HRxx and ViPxxx) and show us how well or bad the Broadcom's chips perform scaling, deinterlacing, etc.

11. wingman1659

wingman1659 New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Lansing, MI
    I would love to see that test too.

As for the millions of users, yes exactly if the purpose was quality instead of cost I'd agree. But I'm sure it's made to be "good enough."

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Oh I don't know I think my local ABC channel looks better upconverted to 1920x1080i compared to 1280x720p.

13. wingman1659

wingman1659 New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Lansing, MI
    What I really want this for is SD channel conversion. Conversion between 720p and 1080i shouldn't look much different unless you sit a few inches from the screen, or in extremely patterned scenes.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    that graph for all number of lines and a distance/screen size been posted here a few time - take a look, at least it done in scientific manner, not based on one person's opinion ...