1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native resolution issue HR20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dngrant, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dngrant

dngrant AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    I recently upgraded to the HR20-700. Missing DLB, but I digress.

I have my unit set to native resolution. Sometimes when switching between 720p and 1080i the screen goes black. This happens with recordings as well as live TV.

This is a semi-frequent nuisance. Does anyone have insight into a software patch that will fix this issue and when it might be released?

2. Carbon

Carbon Godfather

Sep 22, 2006
    Yeah it will do that every time you switch resolution.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you tried turning off native mode?

4. dngrant

dngrant AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    No...I thought I might lose some PQ with that option. Will ESPN lose its quality if the receiver is set to 1080i?

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I prefer the HR20's scaling to my TV's, but I too digress. What model TV do you have?

6. dngrant

dngrant AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    I have a Sony KDS-R60XBR1

7. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    When the HR20 is adjusting, you will typically see a light gray screen. The "black" is probably while your TV is adjusting to the new resolution. It is just something that will take a finite amount of time. For me, the increase in PQ is well worth the wait, as I am not much of a "flipper". I do like to "surf", I just do most of it from the guide.

Whether or not Native=On, with various resolutions selected will be better or not is completely dependent on your HDTV, and on your own personal tastes.

For some, particularly those that like to "flip" channels a lot, a single resolution seems to be better. For others, the increased PQ, and the ability to use your TV's formating options for SD material, outweigh the lag in channel changes. I guess that is why native mode is an option.

8. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    This is a function of your TV... not the HR20. I have several HR20's and various HDTV's... some will do the blank screen when resolution changes and others don't.

If you want to eliminate it just turn native off and set 1080i, or whatever is your highest native resolution. This may not give the absolute best picture, but it's pretty darn close. This will eliminate the resync problem on the TV and speed up channel changes quite a bit.

Speed things up even more by turning off all the animations, etc. on the HR20.

If you do the above it's almost tolerable.

-Joe

9. kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
    here's a question for you. I have a Samsung HLP-5063W. It accepts a 1080i input, but it only displays at 1280x720 or 720p. If I want to turn off Native, would I get a better picture setting it to 1080i or 720p?

The wife is telling me it changes channels too slow :p

10. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    Just try both and see which looks best to you. Since DirecTV favors 1080i that would be my choice if they both look the same to you.

In Setting / Display / Preferences turn off Scrolling Effects... that will help speed things up too.

You won't turn this dog into a Ferarri, but these things help a little.

-Joe

11. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    kitchj,
    it's really a matter of personal preference. I leave native off, but keep my resolution coming from the HR-20 at 720p. I do this because my TV is 1080p (Samsung as well), and I don't see a huge difference either way, so I stay in a progressive mode all along the way of the signal. Works for me, but it's personal preference. Sounds like your TV may have to do a lot of scaling if you use 1080i, so if you have native OFF, you might try 720p as your output from the Hr-20 and see how that works for you.

12. kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll just play with it. I'm thinkin I probably will end up stickin with the 720p so it's progressive, but we'll see.

13. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I've been a native on guy feeling that my TV's would be much better upscalers. However, I have recently been experimenting with native off displaying only 720p or 1080i in order to improve channel switching time. And you know what, I really don't see any difference. Don't forget that if you have a 1080p TV, then no matter what you do the TV has to grab it and bring it over the last hurdle. I've decided to leave native off and benefit from the quicker channel change times.

14. SoCool

SoCool Godfather

Feb 16, 2007
    South West...
    I have stuck with native on and only 1080i selected. It seems to be the best choice for me.

15. kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
    What is the difference between Native Off and only having one resolution selected with Native On?

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is essentially the same as having selected a fixed 1080i as you have already guessed.

What it comes down to is how your TV looks to you and that is something that none of us are qualified to do.

17. csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    None that I can tell. When you deselect a resolution it defeats the Native On setting for that resolution. If you only have one resolution selected then the Native On setting has no value.

-Joe

18. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Native Off, only 1080i selected for me....just go with what looks best for you, tons of possibilities.

19. jkkbishop

jkkbishop Cool Member

Nov 24, 2006
    IMHO, you will want to turn native on. I have the KDS-55A2000 (a step down from yours though from what my "electronics mentor" tells me the scaler is the same) and I prefer having the TV do the scaling. I also have the box output in stretch and then have the TV do the scrunching on 4:3. If I have the box output with pillars, I get a white line down the left side of the image.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    bottom line, it's your preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.