1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy Seal Pens Book on bin Laden Raid

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Which primetime TV news program has booked the anonymous Navy SEAL?

By Alex Weprin
    TVNewser
    8/23/2012

The New York Times reports that a firsthand account of the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden will be published next month, though the Navy SEAL who wrote it is choosing to remain anonymous. As a result, he will do publicity for the book while hiding his identity.

Because the book is written under a pseudonym, the author will appear in disguise during television interviews to promote the book. At least one major network prime-time appearance has been planned, a person familiar with the plans said, and during interviews on television and radio, the author’s voice will be altered.

Which primetime show will the author be appearing on? CBS “60 Minutes” sounds like a good fit, though other networks would probably make accommodations if it meant getting an exclusive...

More here

------------------------

Update: Fox News released a statement from executive VP and executive editor John Moody regarding the decision to publish the name:

“Once you write a book, anonymously or not, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy.”

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [​IMG]

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Justin Fishel of Fox News has reported that the author of the book is Matt Bissonnette, 36, of Wrangell, Alaska.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...insider-account-idd-could-face-legal-trouble/

4. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
  5. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    The name was also repeated by Associated Press. I'd say it is in the public domain now, and as much as I respect the Seals, if this Seal wanted his name to remain confidential, he should have turned down the money and not written the book.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Why remain anonymous? Was he embarrassed to be cashing in and getting rich off it? And if he tries the, "It's not about the money" BS, then donate all your money earned off it to something like a disabled veterans organization.

7. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I read yesterday the proceeds are going to vet organizations.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    All? What about all paid appearances?

9. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I'll believe that when I see the book contract with all the proceeds assigned to vet organizations, and none assigned to Bissonnette. On second thought, even if I saw it in writing, I wouldn't believe it.

10. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    From the story at Fox.com:

True? No idea. I just remembered reading it yesterday.

I'm curious to see how the details in this one stack up against the other book a couple months ago.

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Was it Diana Ross who gave all the "profits" from an AIDS concert to charity, but they turned out to be 3% of gross receipts?

Elizabeth Dole worked for the Red Cross for free.. except that she got them to put a couple hundred thousand dollars a year into her retirement plan.

And one of the bankers who brought us the crash of 2008 agreed to clean up his mess for a dollar a year, but then recently got about a $30 million golden parachute when he was done.

Our latest Mr. X is going to make himself a lot of money out of this, one way or another.

12. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Of course he is. And he should be honest about it. To suggest that he won't make a lot of money is simply absurd. He knows that an opportunity like being on the Bin Laden raid comes along once in a lifetime, or less, and he's not going to miss the opportunity to cash in.

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My friend, in the world of special ops, anonymity is a high priority. You would be surprised what our enemies can learn from a name.

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    During WW II, the Germans knew who was working in our Manhattan project and we knew who was working in their equivalent one just by seeing which leading scientists were no longer publishing or attending professional conferences.

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    There's also one coming out Oct. 15th entitled The Finish from Mark Bowden, the author of Black Hawk Down. That should be good.

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    You have a friend in the world of special ops?

Perhaps you meant to write, "My friend, in the world of special ops, anonymity is a high priority."

Punctuation is still important.

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Added the commas to make you happy Nicky.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I read at military.com that it appears the book wasn't read or cleared by the DoD. If that is the case and if the book contains classified information, the writer could face some serious charges.

19. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    That would be an interesting twist given all the leaks coming out of Washington lately. :lol:

20. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    A late friend of mine and a former business partner could have said, "My friend, Che Guevara gives you his word... it's as good as gold" or he could have said, "My friend Che Guevara gives you his word... it's as good as gold". I know he had said one or the other to me... possibly both!

That's the same former friend/partner who was a gun runner for the CIA and Castro in the late 1950s.