1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC gives "Grimm" as second season

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 30, 2012.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Apparently I missed this last week. From The Hollywood Reporter:
    I'm pleased to see this. As weird crime procedural fantasies go, this one has developed quite well.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Glad to hear this.

3. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Well deserved.

4. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    NICE!!! Can't wait to see the season finale! Hopefully there's a nice twist now that it's coming back next season!

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I enjoyed this series initially but gave up on it about half way through the season. It's got a good concept, but I thought some of the actors were weak and the writing was a bit too predictable. (Reminded me of what were called the MOTW-Monster of the Week episodes on X-Files.) The killer bees episode was particularly bad.

If they take a few risks in the writing and work on getting better actors, I'd gladly come back.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Like the characters in the show, especially the wolf that helps the cop, but plot-wise it is terribly.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I feel like this show, like a lot of shows, needed time to let the characters develop and to find an approach to the weekly story arc.

The primary character Detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) works for me. So does the reformed blutbad (big bad wolf) Eddie Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) who provides just the right amount of amusing "I don't think you want to do that" comments. And Captain Sean Renard (Sasha Roiz) represents that villain you aren't quite sure about.

I think they are struggling with the Juliette Silverton (Bitsie Tulloch) character as Burkhardt's girlfriend.

I think they are working to develop a good show, not a great show, but a good police procedural with the fantasy twist.

8. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    I agree that Monroe is awesome, and that Juliette is weak.

But I sense that they're building something with Juliette, and that she will find out soon about the secret.

9. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm wondering if she doesn't already know? I don't *THINK* she's had a scene by herself yet where she either confirms or denies that she knows. A couple good twists I can think of is either she's the Captain's sister and is "Keeping an eye on him." I can't seem to figure out if the Captain is helping him or what he's up to (Seems to be back and forth). Even better, she's a Reaper that fell in love with him. Or maybe she doesn't even know she's a reaper, or one of the creatures. Quite a few possibilities they could go with.

10. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    I like that they actually film the show in Portland Oregon. I'm getting really really tried of Vancouver filling in for just about anywhere.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They have the facilities and tax credits. It's hard to compete with it.

12. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    I believe they've made it pretty clear that no other (living) human knows Burkhardt's secret.

I like her a lot better as the innocent, unknowing love interest who has to deal with the burden of the knowledge she's about to gain (like at the end of Journeyman).

The 3/30 episode seems to confirm that he's not trying to help any of the humans.

There's no indication of that at this point. And she'd have to be part of the Grimm bloodline to be a Grimm -- and that raises some, um, uncomfortable issues. Unless there's another bloodline with the same abilities.

How would she keep her identity as part of the wesen secret from Burkhardt? Also, is "reaper" the correct term? Are you mixing the Grimm fairly tales with the grim reaper (a la Dead Like Me)?

13. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    No, they're Reapers. His Aunt Marie killed one in the first episode, and the Captain dealt with one later who tried to go after Nick (Which is why I question whether he's helping Nick or what he's up to).
    And as far as keeping it a secret from Nick, the Captain is doing that just fine (I know, I don't think they've actually 100% CONFIRMED he's a Wesen. He still could TECHNICALLY be a human working for/with them for some unknown reason).

14. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    From the Wikipedia article "Creatures Of Grimm" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_of_Grimm

The Reapers of Grimm (also Hässlich) are troll-like wesen, usually dressed in black trench coats. Hässlich in German means ugly, so they are called the ugly ones. Their weapon of choice is a large scythe with an inscription. In the pilot episode, the Reaper Hulda carried a scythe that read Erntemaschinen der Grimms, which translates to "Reaping machines for the Grimms." In "Lonelyhearts", the unnamed Reaper's scythe reads Vernichter der Grimms, "Destroyer of the Grimms". This particular Reaper was admonished and maimed by Captain Renard, who seems to hold some sort of authority over them. In "Of Mouse and Man", Monroe is beaten by a group of Reapers as a warning that his alliance with Nick is upsetting the status quo. First seen in "Pilot".

15. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Wow, okay. Guess I missed a little bit along the way.

16. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    True dat. Looks like I'm stuck with VLF Syndrome.