1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC gives NHL the shaft...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by byron, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    in favor of the Preakness!!!!

Sabres v. Ottawa goes into OT and they just say they will tell us the results once the game has been decided?!?!? WTF!?!? why wont' the affiliates at least put it up on one of their subchannels?!?!

2. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    just found it on Versus... no HD though. i guess I shouldn't be surprised, this is NBC we're talking about.

3. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, NBC has the big problem of the Triple Crown and all that. Lets face it, more people ARE going to watch the Preakness over the NHL game. Now, I'm a huge NHL fan, I try to keep track of it best I can. Being a Penguins fan, once they lost to the Sens, I didn't follow it AS much, but over the past few days, I've been busy and such. But I have watched NBC at night. And there hasn't been one ad for the NHL playoffs. If I had seen 1 ad, I would've known the game was on NBC today. Lets not even go down the Versus road.

If this was on ESPN/ABC, at least we'd see some promotion of the games (doesn't mean people would watch...). The NHL screwed themselves by dropping ABC and jumping to NBC and not taking the lower deal by going with Comcast/Versus. It was a terrible mistake then, it's a terrible mistake now, and it will be a terrible mistake until the NHL goes back to ESPN (or a network which sufficiently supports the NHL by advertising it).

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    The Preakness will draw a much higher rating, probably 4 to 5 times as much as the hockey game.

5. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    i don't doubt that the race will draw higher ratings... but why do we need to see 2 hours of bullsh*t about barbaro and street sense's run for the triple crown. horse racing is a sport that needs maybe 5-10 minutes of tv coverage.... not 5+ hours.

6. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, people say the same for the NHL, except that they add that it shouldn't even be on TV.

7. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    i'm not insisting that horse racing shouldn't be on tv. but do we really need hours and hours and hours of pre-race coverage... i mean what does that really add to the sport for the person plopped on the couch?

8. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    I really don't know. But your asking a question that can only be answered on personal preference.

9. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Actually, its more than that. This was another "Heidi" moment-by the same network I might add.

10. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    I'm not necessarily a supporter of the NBC/VS deal, but if the NHL was still on ESPN it would be getting buried by NBA and MLB coverage. With VS, it's treated like a major sport. Problem is, unlike those of us that are hard-core hockey fans, most Americans don't care. They'd rather watch the NBA, NASCAR or even the ultimate snoozefest, golf, than the NHL. And that, unfortunately, includes the Preakness. Really, what was NBC to do? They sold Preakeness pre-race coverage commercials and had to get 'em in. You can bet when Buffalo tied the game late, the NBC folks let out a collective groan.

Of course, that's in the short term. Ratings for the finals would probably be better with the Sabres than the Sens. Of course for top ratings, we need the Wings in the finals! :D

11. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007

I would concur with your thought. I wonder how many even know what "Heidi" represents? :grin:

12. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    I know what "Heidi" represents and this was no "Heidi". There is a big difference between not showing the end of a hockey game in America and not showing the end of a football game in America. I bet you it will barely make the news tomorrow that NBC didn't show the end of a hockey game.

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I can guarantee you it will be mentioned on the front page on tomorrows Buffalo News and be mentioned by all three news casts here. With 20,000 in the arena, and other 3,000 outside of the arena, this is hockey country. Versus HD not having game 1 made a big stink, and I bet you this will not go over well around here.

14. sonofjay

sonofjay Legend

Aug 29, 2006
    What is utterly ridiculous is that it was NBC who got the NHL to change the decades old tradition of televising the playoffs on Saturday nights and instead go them moved Saturday afternoons. Only to turn around and treat it as a b-movie filler between other shows. If the game was aired when it should be then this wouldn't have happened. NBC as a network is a big f-ing joke and so is the NHL and Bettman for getting into bed with them. It's crap the this that give reason to those that say the NHL is a joke because right now frankly it is bad, sad, sorry excuse for a professional sports league.

15. BJM

BJM Godfather

Dec 9, 2006
    I didn't watch any of this, so ymmv:

If NBC switched away from the hockey game to show "pre-race" coverage of the Preakness, that's lame. It's especially so if said pre-race coverage lasted more than 1/2 hour. (Don't get me started on why horse racing isn't a sport...)

If NBC didn't direct its viewers to Versus for the conclusion of the game, that's definitely lame.

If the NBC affiliate in Buffalo didn't stay with the NHL game (or wasn't allowed to), that is insanely lame.

I agree with sonofjay, if the NHL playoffs were at the "correct" time of Saturday evening, most of this should have been moot. Is NBC Sports so ignorant that they have never heard of "Hockey Night in Canada"? Isn't that Saturday night? (Unless there's another game tonight... I don't follow hockey that closely.)

16. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    by the way I meant national media. I'm sure it will be brought up in Buffalo.

17. Steve0296

Steve0296 Mentor

Oct 21, 2006
    Could have happened with the Sharks-Wings and the Kentucky Derby, but the Sharks managed to lose that one in regulation. Poor scheduling by the league and NBC.

18. MrSDHab

MrSDHab Mentor

Apr 16, 2007
    Well said

19. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    It was pre-race coverage.

NBC did direct viewers to VS.

NBC in Buffalo did stay with the game.

But...if you were a Sens or Sabres fan watching outside of Buffalo and were watching it delayed (DVR or on tape), you were screwed. I DVR almost all the games I watch (but not this one because I started watching live in the 3rd period) and if this had been a Wings game and I missed the end because it switched networks I would have been livid. A disclaimer at the beginning would have been nice ("if this game runs into OT, the remainder will be on VS" or something).

This isn't on NBC, this is on the NHL for siging a contract that would allow this buffoonery. Why was this game scheduled before a Triple Crown race? If NBC didn't want it it in primetime, let VS have it on Saturday night.

20. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Bottom line comes down to very poor planning on NBC's part. It should have left it as a night game, had a non-overtime event in front of the overtime-possible event. The leadership at NBC left itself in a situation where this could happen. If you take a chance, it usually won't happen. Sometimes it does. This is one of those cases. There's a big difference between usually and never.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.