1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC in DFW

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by twohourride, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    Anyone know why Channel 5 (NBC) in DFW does not show the NHL Playoffs in HD? Does any NBC affiliate?

This is totally ridiculous...

2. stackthepads30

stackthepads30 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Does this mean that your picture was in sd, or that your channel had no picture (like my nbc hd has for the last 2 days)?

3. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    Had picture, but it was in SD. I have NEVER seen an HD sporting event on NBC through Ch. 5 in DFW.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Contact the station, but I don't think the game was telecast in HD.

5. jldhawk

jldhawk Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    I have the Detroit Hockey game in HD right now using my off-air antenna from my local NBC station.

6. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    I emailed the station yesterday, no response as of yet. I do have the game today in HD (OTA).

Does anyone else think that NBC is in the cellar as far as HD programming compared to the other networks overall?

7. julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Well, most of the decent primetime stuff is HD. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't "The Tonight Show" in HD loooong before Letterman? The Olympics were in HD.... they were on NBC, right?

I'd say they are on par, but I don't watch alot of network primetime :)

8. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    True Leno was HD long ago...I guess I should have said "sports" programming. I don't really watch NBC Primetime to know about that...

9. julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    yea I kinda figured that perhaps that was what you meant after I responded :D

I swore I've seen an event here and there but if ya ask me, NBC doesn't really cover any of the majors wide-spread like the others do, always seems like a game here and there, you know what I mean?. Of course the only ones that come to mind quickly are CBS and FOX for the NFL. I usually catch most other games (MLB, NHL, NBA) on a regional sports net like FS-SW, ESPN, or OTA 27 or 21 here in DFW.

10. dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    KXAS NBC 5 has done lots of Sporting events in HD, ND Football and Nascar to name a few. As for Hockey, I turned on the Edmonton / Detroit game and it was on in HD this afternoon OTA on my 942. The few times I did turn on hockey during the season on NBC though, I never saw a game in HD (not sure if they were actually being done in HD or not).

Oh yea, they had LOADS of Olympics in HD.

11. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    I've never watched Nascar on NBC, the ND games I checked had the black bars on the sides and were SD.

I did see some of the Olympics in HD (mostly Universal HD, an NBC channel)

I really wish they would have NBC5 News in HD, I watch their newscast the most of all the DFW channels.

12. rustamust

rustamust AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    You could be worse off and live here in colo.springs where our local NBC KOAA does not even have a tower completed yet. Let alone equip. ready to go and keeps saying two more months over and over. Oh well maybe by July for NASCAR or maybe Dish will beat them and have locals before then.

MIKE

13. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Unfortunately E* takes their feed off the OTA towers. Your OTA would have to be active in order for Echostar to supply it to you.

14. mrbo

mrbo New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Plus, the SD picture quality on 5-1 was just terrible during the Stars game. Whoever was in charge of the produciton should be fired. Whenever they would cut over to update on the Rangers/Devils game, the PQ was a lot better.

BTW, Sunday's Detroit/Edmonton game was in high definition.

15. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003

I was thinking the EXACT thing regarding the SD pic. BTW, I haven't received a response from the station from my email and I really don't expect them to reply.

16. caam1

caam1 Mentor

Dec 7, 2004
    The NBC network did not broadcast the first Stars game in HD. Out of the first four playoff games on NBC, only one of the games was broadcast in HD. I guess NBC doesn't think there is much of an audience for hockey.

17. twohourride

twohourride Mentor

Nov 4, 2003
    I guess they don't....they might get some casual fans if it were in HD. Hockey done right in HD (hence-HD NET) is very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.