1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC more pixelated?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mganga, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 6, 2007 #1 of 22
    mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    hey, anyone else notice much lower quality when viewing NBC HD football vs. fox, cbs, and espn? i'm currently watching the kc/indy game and i've noticed it on previous sunday night broadcasts as well. i'm not using OTA...

2. Jan 6, 2007 #2 of 22
    grate88

grate88 DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 14, 2006
    agreed

3. Jan 6, 2007 #3 of 22
    jgcox00

jgcox00 Mentor

Aug 30, 2006
    NBC in Raleigh is unwatchable. I switched to an external OTA. Anyone call this in to Dtv yet?

4. Jan 6, 2007 #4 of 22
    EJB

EJB Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    Is it possible that it is because Fox and ESPN broadcast games in 720p and NBC and CBS always seem to broadcast in 1081i? I have noticed this throughout the season on my Samung 1081i DLP TV. The "i" broadcasts always look worse when it is sports and lots of movement, but looks great for the normals shows and nature/documentary type shows.

This site will show you what the games are being broadcast in: http://www.hdsportsguide.com/

ejb

5. Jan 6, 2007 #5 of 22
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    NBC has had this problem for a while now, and its not just football. They stand out out of all the major networks with their pixelation. I've now seen it on D*TV, E*, and Comcast....and its equally bad on all three - its obviously a problem at the transmission/broadcast source.

6. Jan 6, 2007 #6 of 22
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I've been watching the game most of the afternoon via MPEG-4.
    Toggling back and forth to see any differences.

I have my system fixed to 720p, as that is the native resolution for my TV.

And I have not noticed any significant pixelations between the two.

7. Jan 6, 2007 #7 of 22
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Does your NBC multicast? Ours does and teh PQ is terrible. So does our local CBS. Our local FOX and ABC don't and their HD PQ is beautiful.

8. Jan 6, 2007 #8 of 22
    jgcox00

jgcox00 Mentor

Aug 30, 2006
    My resolution is set to 1080i... but the light is only on 720p. If the picture is not changing... it looks ok. When the action starts, I call it pixilation... but it's like there is a scratchy plastic cover over the screen. Seems to only happen on NBC local feed. Going to the OTA signal (not via the HR-20)... picture looks fine. No other local channels are currently broadcasting an HD signal, however the other HD channels like HDNet, ESPN... all look awesome.

9. Jan 6, 2007 #9 of 22
    spamstew

spamstew Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    I noticed the pixelation as well. Also, I'm experiencing Audio/Video drops. Maybe it's time to invest in a OTA antenna.

My HR20 is set for 1080i feeding my 1080p TV.

10. racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    I also have been toggling back and forth between D*(MPEG-4) and OTA, while I haven't observed an pixel issues, my picture is much sharper via OTA. I see much more definition and detail on the astro turf surface in Indy via OTA signal, it's not soft and muddy like on D*. I usually get this same effect while watching golf, OTA is just sharper, and overall I think in general the HD Locals here in the D.C. area are pretty good

11. cbt

cbt New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I've noticed it during the 10-11 PM time slot - ER and Law and Order especially; coming from the New York HD feed.

12. dlvh

dlvh Mentor

Dec 14, 2006
    I'm watching the Cowboys vs the Seahawks, and the reception on that game is about equal to the Chiefs, Colts game.

I'm also comparing OTA feed to the HR20's feed and I personally don't notice much difference between the two. I just notice a lot of pixelation during running scenes mainly.

13. mrsoybot

mrsoybot Cool Member

Dec 3, 2006
    I agree, although i'd say it looks more like you are watching a film... noticed it the first sunday night game this year and it has never gone away...

14. crabtrp

crabtrp Legend

Sep 23, 2006
    I am TRYING to watch the Cowboys game. It keeps stalling, making a noise then going to a blue screen. 10 seconds later is comes back and starts the process again.

15. mtalhelm

mtalhelm AllStar

Nov 22, 2006
    I have had the same problem with NBC and ABC - live in Raleigh area, they are just horrible picture - but when I switch to OTA through the HR 20, the picture is great - I thought it might be that I am getting a poor signal strength - I posted that in another thread, to see if this was the case. Waiting on replies. Games on HD Net and 95 HD, and ESPN HD and ESPN 2 HD seem to be fine

16. untouchable

untouchable Legend

Jun 24, 2006
    Problems on OTA transmission and the satellite is doing the same thing to me...even getting some static in the picture..same on all 3 HD receivers...just change from one to another on the same TV.

17. mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    so many variables...but since my other mpeg-4 channels look great i'm going to blame it on the NBC signal...now, who knows of a forum that techies with NBC connections pay attention to?

18. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I see it here in KC. Lots of pixelation.

19. jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    I've noticed all season that NBC has significantly more blocking artifacts than CBS. Both of my affiliates here in DC multicast, yet CBS consistently looks better than NBC.

When I went home to my parent's house in Indianapolis this year, it was the same thing. I know pixellation tends to be a local affiliate issue, but whatever NBC's method of encoding is, I think it's worse on the national level as a whole.

20. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I watch NBC in New York on Ch 82. The audio drops out, the picture drops out, and the picture pixilates. This happens any time I watch (I only watch football and racing on this channel). If I switch to another channel the problem is not there. My minimum signal strength for any transponder is 94 on a clear day. I don't feel it is a problem between me and the sat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.