1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NBC Plans Remington Steele Sequel......

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cj9788, Oct 12, 2013.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    "NBC is eyeing a sequel to its Reagan-era detective series Remington Steele — only the new project is a half-hour comedy, our sister site Deadline reports.
    The undertaking, also named Remington Steele, would center on Olivia Holt, daughter of Remington Steele and Laura Holt (played by Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist in the original version).

In the comedy, Ms. Holt would reopen her parents’ detective agency and soon find herself in the same kind of funny, action-filled situations that provided the background for Remington and Laura’s five-season-long romance.

Ruben Fleischer (Gangster Squad) will direct, with Spin City‘s Jay Scherick and David Ronn writing the script; all three will executive-produce with Heather Petrigala (Community).

The first Remington Steele, in which private investigator Laura hired con artist Remington in order to appease clients uncomfortable with the notion of a woman solving their cases, traded largely on the chemistry between Zimbalist and Brosnan."

http://tvline.com/2013/10/09/remington-steele-sequel-nbc/

As far as I have seen it is only a script, no one has been cast nor has a pilot been commissioned. I prefer this as a opposed to a remake of the original series. Wonder if it will happen?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So it will be a show with an entirely different plot than the original attempting to get viewers by stealing the name?

Pass. Even if the new plot show somehow is interesting it seems offensive to use the Remington Steele name to promote something entirely different. The new show needs to be good enough to watch without the tie in to something better.

If it ever gets past the idea stage I suspect it will have the same success as Knight Rider (2008), The Bionic Woman (2007) and Wonder Woman (defunct).

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    "In the comedy"... Comedy??? No thanks, pass.

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Hollywood has rebooting everything else over the last few years. It was only a matter of time before they got to Remington Steele

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    But it's not a reboot, it's a sequel and a "comedy" at that. Everything about it sounds unappealing.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Ah the 80's - Arsenio is back ... Simpsons and Saturday Night Live are still around.
    Star Trek: The Next Generations was around (and we have the alternate timeline movie series).
    Dallas had their reboot.

A-Team, Alf, The Cosby Show, Cheers, Different Strokes, Family Ties, Full House, Golden Girls, Happy Days, Hart to Hart, Hill Street Blues, The Jeffersons, M*A*S*H, Magnum PI, Murder She Wrote, Night Court, Seinfeld, Simon and Simon, Three's Company, Who's the Boss ... what's next?

Some of them have similar themed shows on the air now ... updated for modern times. But do we need a new Love Boat, Love American Style or Fantasy Island? Especially if the new show is not like the old?

It isn't Remington Steele unless it is a comedy about a detective who falls for an unwitting partner in her deception. Perhaps the "daughter" can be forced into reopening the agency with another fake boss. But part of the "charm" was that Remington forced his way into her life unexpected.

7. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    If we have to have remakes , how about Have Gun Will Travel.

8. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    I hear Alf is coming back but it will now be a crime drama.

I stopped reading at comedy, what a horrible idea. No wonder NBC is in the trash heap and has been for quite some time.

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Well, Steele was largely comedic anyways, so it's not really that much of a stretch. (Reruns showing weekdays on Rural TV)

This sounds more like Tabitha (sequel to Bewitched).

10. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I vote for a Mork and Mindy remake.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I hope that's one they never touch. That's a classic show. They could probably show re-runs in primetime and pull in numbers better than some if not most new shows.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It will fail..

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I have all episodes of the original on an EHD and when I need a laugh I watch it.

14. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Doubt that I'll be wasting time to watch this.....