1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NBC restructured schedule - "Smash" to Saturday

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The only real question is "what took so long???" From The Hollywood Reporter article:
    From USA Today:

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is it any wonder people cautioned about two or three programs making or breaking a channel (a la AMC).

I'd rather they throw their weight behind Sing Off as The Voice is too much like a competitor's very successful show. Sure, the show is keeping NBC somewhat relevant but there has to be something different that won't have to go head-to-head against a ten year juggernaut.

I'm pretty much done with the personal drama train wrecks that these shows seem to feature. I'm drawn to talent, not travail. I want to feel happy for the contestants, not sorry.

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Saw them ... loved 'em.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sadly I gave up on this one about 2 episodes into the last season. I thought the performances were great -- how could they not be with the spectacular Ms. Hilty -- but the writing was so painful.

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I thought about doing the same thing. In fact, my wife calls it a "a distracting and convoluted mess of sub-plots".

Nonetheless, I continue to watch. I think the musical value far exceeds the failings of the writers, and for that reason alone, I'm sorry that the series will soon go away.

7. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Makes two of us.

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I almost gave up a few episodes ago when no one was singing. Just a few lines by Anna or something. I really miss seeing Karen singing. She gives me goosebumps.

1 person likes this.
  9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    If a program could break a channel, Do No Harm would have been one deadly coffin nail. I don't think one program can break any channel.

Making a channel is a different story. Almost every success story about a cable channel is that it found that one program or two that basically built the channel the way DiMaggio or Mantle built the Yankees. There are a lot of examples, from HBO to FX to TLC to Bravo. AMC is a prime example.

1 person likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Agree.

Knowing and satisfying your audience is what will make or break a network. Anyone remember the break in Olympic coverage to show us a preview of a soon-to-be cancelled show? Makes you wonder about the intelligence behind the feathers.

11. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
  12. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    They should take a lesson from Glee, which just got renewed for 2 more years. I doubt many folks watch it for the story.

13. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Agree totally. In fact, the stories were so bad on Glee that I gave up. The music was not worth the agenda being shoved down my throat. But the music was pretty phenomenal the first two years.

14. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I agree with you and Steve. I too stopped watching Glee because the story line stopped making sense. My only recollections now are the music. I'm reminded of it every day when I play my MP3 player.

Unlike Glee, and for all it's convoluted story lines, Smash still holds my viewing interest. Mostly though, it's all about the songs and their settings.

I'll be sorry to see it go.

15. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Not that I really expect it to happen, but I would love to see the full production of Bombshell and Hit List.....would be a great send off for the series if/when it got cancelled.

2 people like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Same here, elaclair. I haven't been to the theater in years but these two productions would change that instantly. If only...

17. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    IMHO, best Smash episode ever last night. After all that led up to it, Jimmy's "Love I meant to say" totally got to me. And kudos to the writers for the flashback scenes. "Brilliant!", as Derek would say.

1 person likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Loved it.

19. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    It was wonderful! But I still want to see Karen sing!!! Seriously, she is the star, along with Ivy. And it has been weeks since they featured her.

20. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    That's what happens when you have more talent than air time.

I was amazed at Tom's wonderful rendition of Billy Joel's "Vienna".

They are all so good!