1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC The Office/30 Rock/SNL not in HD tonight.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mateom199, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mateom199

mateom199 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I've been watching NBC all night, on my local MPEG4 signal. (WHDH - 7, Boston). For some reason, all the shows tonight have been widescreen HD programs, but broadcast in SD (with pillars).

Anyone else having this problem?

We do have a severe winter storm in the area, with the local news station cutting in frequently...could they be the cause of this? Keeping the signal SD to make cutting in and out easier?

Whatever it is, its very annoying.

Other locals come in HD fine.

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    well... i just checked my local NBC HD.... hard to say though... cause what they're showing right now wasn't shot in HD.... I'll keep checking and let ya know...

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    SNL is not widescreen, it's old clips.

30 Rock recorded in New Orleans in HD. Don't know about The Office, but your issues are probably local.

4. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    "The Office" re-run was fine in Chicago tonight. Only watched it OTA, though.

5. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    looks like the part with jimmy fallon was in 4:3 as well.... it doesn't have the HD symbol in the guide or say high-def in the info... so maybe this isn't supposed to be HD??

not sure about the office or 30 rock though... the office was a rerun so i didn't record it... and i have 30 rock on my other HR20 and I will let you know later after I watch it...

6. mateom199

mateom199 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Well it looks like SNL might not have been HD anyways.

But The Office and 30 Rock were definitely supposed to be.

Must be my local station. Thanks WHDH. :)

7. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    Last week I had Earl and the first 5 minutes of 30 Rock not in HD. Then someone must have flipped a switched because the rest of the line-up was HD after the first 30 Rock commercial break. This week 30 Rock was HD for me. That's all I have watched. (Orlando locals)

8. KHook321

KHook321 Mentor

Jun 14, 2007
    I've had a weird problem with 30 Rock a couple times. The first 5-10 minutes will be in full HD and everything, but there's no voices. But here's the weird thing. The show's sound effects and background music are still there, just not the people's voices. How does that happen?

9. HoosierBoy

HoosierBoy Legend

May 25, 2007
    In Chicago, I recorded 30 Rock and it was in HD. Watched through DirecTv locals.

10. bakerfall

bakerfall Godfather

Aug 23, 2006
    Yea, 30 Rock was definitely HD. The SNL special definitely was not.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    SNL hasn't been in HD very long, I didn't see the special but if it was mostly older clips then it's going to be SD.

12. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    i've had this happen before... it was on one of the first episodes of Friday Night Lights... the SD channel was fine... but on the HD channel, you could hear everything but the voice track... i'm assuming it was just a goof at my local station...

13. mfeinstein

mfeinstein Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm in Boston, too. WHDH did broadcast 30 Rock in SD. Must have been a technical problem relating to the big snow storm.

14. NotNterLaced

NotNterLaced HD Junkie

Feb 22, 2007
    I had this same problem on Journey man on Monday. The entire show had the music/effects track but no voices. Maybe this is an NBC problem?

15. techdimwit

techdimwit Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    I watched "The Office" OTA and it was gloriously HD but my ABC OTA signal is gone this morning. Happens sometimes.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    SNL wasn't just older clips it was a RERUN from a show from 2002, before SNL went HD.

17. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    I turned on The Office and had the pillar bars also, then about 5 minutes later, they disappeared. Appeared to be an HD signal the entire time. Par for the course for NBC, rivaling their Sunday night football broadcasts for quality.

18. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Were they running a scroll of cancellations because of the bad weather when the shows were not in HD? It appears many stations cannot run a scroll at the same time as showing a 16x9 HD program.

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Considering the OP is from Boston, you may have just hit the nail on the head. Conditions were pretty bad in the northeast last evening. /steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.