1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC to go year 'round

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by frederic1943, Feb 19, 2008.

1. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    NEW YORK - February 19, 2008 - NBC Universal today announced an innovative, client-centric approach to its traditional Upfront presentation that will include the announcement of a 52-Week Primetime Programming Schedule in April.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080219nbc01

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I like it! About time TV networks realized we don't all go out to tend to our crops in the summer.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Hopefully this catches on w/ the other networks, I hate summer re-runs.

4. tametomo

tametomo Cool Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Testify Brother Jedediah Stuart Sweet. But we must not forget the cows and the butter churning.

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yea!!! :new_smili

I'm thinking possibly 3 13-20 episode seasons of shows. Summer, Fall/Winter, Winter/Spring.

Who would have thought that if you showed new content when everyone else is showing old crap, that people might actually what new stuff. :rolleyes:

6. Jazzy Jeff

Jazzy Jeff Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    Give me a break, this only means there will be 150 more episodes a year that will be cancelled. Or 150 more episodes of some crappy reality tv. I wish a channel that wasn't notorious for cancelling the good shows would decide to do this.

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Didn't fox say the same thing about 3 years ago?

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's OK if you don't watch ;)

9. Jazzy Jeff

Jazzy Jeff Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    I'll probably still watch I'm addicted :) Maybe they will bring Journeyman back now that they have 52 weeks a year to fill :D

10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Please! fox doesn't even have a full prime time lineup. (They are missing the last hour.)

11. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Since things are canceled frequently, I think there actually is a market for some short-run series that are fully intended to be 10-15 episodes long and then be complete. For example, last year I enjoyed the show Traveler even though it was not a full season and was never intended to be so.

I do think summertime would be the time to run these offbeat shows, though.

Now, why can't NBC keep Journeyman on if they're going to have more time to fill ... Arrrrghh!

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    WHAT??? Did Earth slow down in its travels around the Sun? Since when does a year have 52 weeks?

I was perfectly happy with a 39-week year. :scratch:

13. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Or that we have DVR's.:lol:

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    well that may be a significant part of the equation .. I've noticed that more and more shows are using name-brand items in their dialog and props as well ..

15. kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
    I'll add a third..... Journeyman would be a fantastic keeper to fill the new lengthened schedule!!

16. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Remember "The Prisoner"?

A successful summer replacement back in..oh ..days gone by.:rolleyes:

17. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Add my Journeyman vote as well as Friday Night Lights.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    FOX did try this a couple of times, having summer editions of their regular shows. It didn't seem to catch on.

USA, SciFi, and TNT are examples of networks that actually run their seasons in the "off" season, during the summer for several shows.

What I've always thought could work... instead of running a show every year and having repeats every other week to fill the season... they could run 2 seasons within 1 season. Not the same show, mind you, but compatible themes.

Like SciFi has Dr Who and Battlestar Galactica... typically they would run through the Galactica season, then start up Dr Who after that. Compatible audiences still get new shows of something they like.

Sitcoms could be ran like this... run a season of one show on Monday at 8pm, then run a different sitcom for the rest of the year.

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    I'm not sure what press release other folks read, but the one linked in the OP didn't say anything about NBC offering more original scripted programming over the summer. All they said was that they'd have "new content" year-round. What's innovative is discussing the full 52 weeks with advertisers up-front, rather than handling the 39 week "television season" and the summer separately.

20. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, it could be much ado about nothing ..