1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NBCU rebranding G4 as Esquire Network in April

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mhking, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    NBCU and Esquire announced today that the G4 channel would be rebranded and repositioned in late April as the Esquire Network.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/esquire-tv-launch-147199

According to a joint release, the new network will be positioned as a Bravo geared toward men. Original content includes Knife Fight, a cooking show between young chefs, and The Getaway featuring the globe-trotting Anthony Bourdain. Rerun fare will include Parks & Recreation (NBC) and Party Down (Starz). The release also says the fifth season of American Ninja Warrior will air on the new network and on NBC this summer.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I wonder what they had to pay the Hearst Corporation for the Esquire brand and will it bring them many of the magazine's 0.7 million readers?

3. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    The article is kinda funny. The network guy makes it clear he has zero interest in anything related to the magazine. He just bought the name and that's it. The channel will be full of male-skewing reality shows, sorta like Spike.

4. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    Gee, they could have saved money and just change it to GQ.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    You mean they would have saved money by keeping the G and trading the 4 for a Q?. Funny.

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I wonder if "The Getaway" will just be more of Bourdain's eating and drinking habits. I saw some of his shows that concentrated less on the food and more on the locale of wherever he was and I really liked those episodes.

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    But only the scenes Ron Swanson is in, I would have to guess, based on the targeted demographics of the network.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    In four years reality shows will be popping up. It never fails!

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Another 'who cares!'

Was it ten years ago, it was a tech channel?

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That men have gone from fighting with knives to cooking with knives is indicative
    of the decline and fall of the male persona in western civilization. Sadly, male machismo
    has been replaced with mashed potatoes; manly pot bellies with mother's pot roast.

11. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Nick, out there gettin' it done! Interesting commentary.

So, pot bellies are manly? I should just let myself go. :)

12. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...what?

13. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    There were certainly tech shows on it, including The Screen Savers and Call For Help. At the time they were geek shows for a niche audience. Still pretty niche, but now that kids want to grow up to be Steve Jobs instead of Barry Bonds, maybe it would have had a better shot.

TSS morphed into a gaming show Attack of the Show about 2006 or so (good luck having success with a name that lame) which closed shop just last month. The Newsroom principal actress Olivia Munn was on that for a time. But when G4 cancelled out Leo and Sarah, I cancelled G4, and have no earthly idea how to even find it on my DVR. You could pay me a thousand bucks and I couldn't even tell you what group of "hundreds" that channel is in. Won't change with the rebranding, either.

But Leo Laporte and TSS cutie cohort Sarah Lane are alive and well doing the same thing only better over at twit.com. Leo has created a successful video podcast network of 30-some shows a week. Somehow I do not expect the gaming aspect of G4 to be able to rise from the ashes in the same manner.

14. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    He was making the point that we are getting to be lazy and if we watched more fighting shows we might go to the GYM a day or 2 a week.

15. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    It doesn't matter what channel is geared toward what today...BECAUSE THEY'LL SHOW ANYTHING ON ANY CHANNEL. They all don't care if a show doesn't fit.

16. litex2x

litex2x Legend

Sep 8, 2012
    Hopefully D* will try to pick it up for cheap now.

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    And MavTV.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Plus Leo also a live national Radio on weekends about tech.