1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need a 12' 2" pipe to mount slimline dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by captgadget, Jan 26, 2014.

1. captgadget

captgadget AllStar

Sep 7, 2010
    Wondering if anyone has any suggestions what type of pipe and where I might acquire such a thing.

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    A muffler shop.

3. scr

scr AllStar

Feb 5, 2008
    How do you intend to support it?

4. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well, where are you? A general area will do.

5. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Fencing companies and muffler shops are the most common suggestions.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    www.metalsdepot.com

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I got mine at Home Depot - they have everything.

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You happen to have the SKU? Im planning on relocating my dish, since the gas meter reader keeps knocking into it and causing a 771 until I get home to reaim it. I want to put it in the back yard, but totally forgot what size pipe to get.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    2 inch OD. I'm buying one tomorrow.

10. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Like others have said, muffler shop. I stopped in a Mieneke shop and while they told me they didn't have it, they pointed me to a mom and pop shop just down the street. It was $8 for an 8' piece.

11. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    There are vast differences in the quality of exhaust tubing. Most is thin wall, made for bending. Walker exhaust makes an Aluminized 2" OD .082 thick, very strong and resists rusting, well worth the extra few bucks. It is available at NAPA or any auto parts jobber that sells Walker brand exhaust.

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    [SIZE=medium]I wouldn’t use a muffler pipe for a 12 foot long dish mount. It can't handle the wind loads.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If we assume the previously mentioned 2in OD and wall of t=0.082, at a length of 12 feet you get a maximum of 47.4 lbs of load to yield the base of the pipe (using 30,000 psi yield strength of mild steel). That’s not a lot of load. For a pipe it takes somewhat less than 55ish lbs of load at the top to become fully plastic at the base...to bend and not spring back all the way Nearly every adult can push that much load into that pipe. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Tubing that thin at that length is very, very flexible. It won’t take much wind load to cause it to twist and it wouldn’t take much to cause reception issues. I’ll bet you’ll get more 771 errors than you’re willing to deal with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]BTW, I’m a pipe stress analyst. This is what I do for a living. Trust me when I say 12 feet of pipe is a long way to go and you’d need something with a bigger wall thickness to handle such a long moment arm. It would need to be even bigger still to not twist in the wind. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]The dish has a pretty good sized surface area and it won’t take much wind to get it twisting back and forth. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]I’d have to run a couple of what if scenarios to determine the right wall thickness so it won’t twist enough to cause 771 errors. However, at 12 feet long, it’s very, very flexible in torsion so I suspect it would start to get cost prohibitive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]BTW, if you do get a hunk of pipe make sure it’s ASTM A513 tubing and not 2” NPS. A513 tubing has an OD of 2 inches where 2 in NPS pipe has an OD of 2.375”. If you just ask for 2 inch pipe you might get the wrong stuff. Make sure it conforms to the A513 specs (pipe would be ANSI B36.10). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Personally, I'd use square tube for the majority of the height and then use the standard Slimline mount on a plate at the top...which wouldn't be cheap. :grin:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Mike[/SIZE]

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I agree. I misread the thread title and though that the OP was looking for a 12 inch pipe, not a 12 foot one.

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I wouldn't mount a dish on a 12 foot piece of tubing of any kind without some sort of support. I've had good luck with the product I mentioned for three different ground installations which are now several years old and very little rusting. Just wanted folks to know of the ease of finding the pipe, most stores will cut to length.

15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    My Slimline is on a 12' fence post buried 3 ft in the ground. It has no support other than three bags of Quikrete. I installed it almost 8 years ago and have had no issues with it, YET! I did have to use flashing to increase the diameter since it was a bit under 2".

16. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Schedule 40 black pipe should suffice quite nicely. Just be sure to cap off the top end.

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    1-1/2" pipe is actually 1-15/16" outside diameter.
    2" pipe is actually 2-3/8" outside diameter.
    To get something 2" outside diameter you need to buy Tubing. Tubing is measured by the outside diameter and then the wall thickness which is sometimes referred to as example, 2" OD x 16 gage.

18. captgadget

captgadget AllStar

Sep 7, 2010
    Gosh, so many great ideas here. I'm living in a park model in the Rio Grande Valley. This installation will be along side of a new awning. The park manager will drill a hole in the concrete so I can put the pipe in the ground. Then I'm hoping I can anchor to the awning supports. There is plenty of wind here so I hope it with stands it ok. I'm so limited because of trees. Directv will not mount on the roof of the park model, but I'm not sure why I can't do it. It's a metal roof over asphalt shingles but I'm not sure what type of underlayment there is under the shingles.

Thanks for all the great input.

19. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    As I said, I used fence post, which is actually just under 2", perhaps 1 15/16". That's why I had to use the flashing. The fence company called it 2", not 1 1/2".

20. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    With a dish mounted that high, how do you align it?