1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need a FIFA World Cup workaround

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by todwest, May 27, 2014.

1. todwest

todwest New Member

May 27, 2014
    New York
    So, because DirecTV hasn't deigned to become an approved provider of ESPN streaming services (the Watch ESPN app, and ESPN3), there doesn't appear to be any way for DirecTV subscribers to watch the upcoming FIFA World Cup games anywhere other than home. Can't watch the games on the official ESPN app, can't use DirecTV 2 PC on anything other than a home network. DirecTV's own apps DO NOT include any ESPN or ABC programming. It appears we are totally shut out of being able to watch the tournament remotely. Or, am I wrong about this? Is there a workaround I haven't heard of? I would really like to be able to stream these games while I am at my office. I just spent over an hour on the phone with the "retention" department, and they could not find a solution. It appears DirecTV customers are out of luck. Frankly, I've had it with this crap. If they don't fix this in the next two weeks, I will be terminating my account after 18 years as a loyal and mostly satisfied DirecTV customer.

2. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    You might just need a Genie Go.

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Can you switch ISPs? If you can get an Internet service provider who carries it, you can watch ESPN's online content.

4. todwest

todwest New Member

May 27, 2014
    New York
    Where did you get the idea that Watch ESPN and ESPN3 come through an ISP subscription? They don't, I assure you. You get Watch ESPN and ESPN 3 as part of your cable package. Time-Warner, Cox, DishTV, etc., have paid ESPN for these digital rights. DirecTV has not paid for these digital rights. This is, and always has been, the hold up.

5. todwest

todwest New Member

May 27, 2014
    New York
    Does Genie Go allow me to watch ESPN and ABC when I am away from home?

6. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Some people have success with out of home streaming. I don't think certain channels are blocked but don't have a Genie Go. Some one with experience will likely show up.

7. whut WHUT

whut WHUT New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    I'm looking for the exact same thing. I'm tired of DirecTV not having WatchESPN.

I currently use Charter for my internet, and DirecTV for TV. I thought I could use my Charter login to get into WatchESPN but no. You must have their TV subscription. Ughh. I may just have to turn on a Charter TV subscription along side my DirecTV one just for a month or so, so I can stream these games at work too.

I'll be following this thread. Hopefully DirecTV has a solution besides screwing their customers. I'm not buying their Genie Go. I think that box only lets you download DVR shows onto it.

8. todwest

todwest New Member

May 27, 2014
    New York
    The Genie Go might be a good workaround. If you can watch the shows recorded on the DVR, it might be possible to access them within a minute or so of their start time. I do this with DirecTV 2 PC currently. I can watch an in-progress show on D* 2 PC as long as my DVR is recording it. Basically, if Genie Go works just like an away-from-home version of DirecTV 2 PC, then subscribers should be able to access the recording in progress. Can anyone weigh in on the features of Genie Go?

9. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Just so you know, UVN will broadcast many games OTA. In Spanish, but still....

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's basically how the GenieGO works.

11. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I've been getting ESPN3 as an open option w/AppleTV...absent the other ESPNs because D* hasn't signed up. ABC has been available there but I never logged in till I noticed this thread. Comcast has pretty much every broadband user on board as Xfinity on paper because we all save a couple pennies with that minimal subscription. Never access the TV service - but, just now, that got me the ABC access.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

12. whut WHUT

whut WHUT New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    So I'd have to record every World Cup game that I may want to watch? Then you have to account for extra time/overtime/shootouts. Sounds like a major pain to record everything with an extra long buffer.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The hold up is that ESPN/Disney openly admitted they refuse to negotiate the rights seperately and want to wait until the overall contract for their networks are up for renewal. EVERY announcement of a provider joining the Watch Products was part of a renewal deal.

Outside of Time Warner/Brighthouse where everything needs a TV subscription, ISP only accounts for most providers get access to ESPN3's content. (i.e. with Verizon's DSL service I can login on the app and get the live ESPN3 content but not the live feeds of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, etc) However I don't have the schedule in front of me right now to see if they'll simulcast all of the games on ESPN3 or will limit them to subscribers of the main channels.

14. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
  15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think Univision is a go for a real nice streaming app. MobiTV from you wireless carrier may be another choice, they include ESPN and ABC as well as Univision

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They don't anymore. Disney quietly discontinued ESPN Mobile TV, ABC Mobile and Disney Channel Mobile on January 1st in favor of their Watch products, while Univision Mobile is just a loop of various programming.

They might have live sports from Univision this year, however with the rise of smartphones and all the authenticated and direct from provider apps, they aren't the dominant source for mobile television like they were during the last World Cup. The bulk of the live sports are gone outside of select content from NBC.

17. daniloni

daniloni Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    This is incorrect. If your ISP offers ESPN3, you should be able to watch ESPN3 content on your computer or on a roku, Apple TV, or mobile device via your ISP subscription. I have DirecTV for my pay tv service and comcast for internet, and I'm able to access ESPN3 content on my Apple TV, roku, iPhone and iPad through my Comcast subscription. I cannot watch ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, or ESPN Deportes content, since that would require authentication from my TV provider, which as we all know DirecTV does not offer. I'm not clear what World Cup content will be on ESPN3. I think I'd heard that Korean and other language commentary would be provided on ESPN3. Not clear if English commentary will be on ESPN3.

If your ISP does not offer ESPN3 or if English commentary isn't available (and you require this), I would definitely recommend a slingbox. For live tv, all reports are that it is superior to the genie go.

EDIT -- I see (or surmise) from your other post that you're a TWC internet subscriber. TWC has a policy that they don't offer ESPN3 access through the ISP unless you also receive ESPN from them as a pay TV subscriber. So slingbox is definitely the way to go.

18. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    Just like you I have AT&T DSL and can only see ESPN3.

19. daniloni

daniloni Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    If streaming at your workplace is blocked and you don't want to or are unable to devote your cellular devices or data allotment to streaming, you could purchase a 7 or 9 inch portable television. Of course you'd be limited to OTA options (i.e. Univision/Unimás) in Spanish. At my work video streaming is blocked, so must-watch events are viewed via slingbox on my cellular enabled iPad. I get an HD quality stream. Highly recommend.

20. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I find the Slingbox a better solution for streaming of live programming. The "work around" w/ the GenieGo is too cumbersome.