1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a little help on WHDVR setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by MSC71, Dec 11, 2010.

1. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    DTV came out and upgraded my dish and receivers for the service. There is one cable from the dish to the SWM (think that is the name, one connector on one side and 4 connectors on the opposite). I have an HR24-500 as my main receiver. There is a black box that says "SWM ODU" Only for my main receiver.

In our Living room I have an H24. This particular setup works fine. The Living Room receiver can see the Main Receiver fine and everything works like it should.

I added an H23-600 in our bedroom and ran the cable to the SWM block outside. Signal is fine but I can not get it to find the DVR on the main tv. When I go to setup it has "authorized" for WHDVR and says "no networked DVR found". I have reset all the receivers multiple times. I am pretty sure it is user error as everything works fine except what I installed. :lol:

Do I have it all hooked up right or am I missing something?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You need a DECA box. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...tm_source=google_base_02_Satellite_Components

3. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Thank you. Does this go to the Main Receiver (DVR)? Or the one upstairs that will not find my DVR? Curious as to why I did not need that until I added the 3rd receiver (h23)? I have a Router next to the main TV also. Not sure if that matters or not.

4. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I think I figured it out. DECA is for the receiver upstairs as the Hr24 and H24 have it built in?

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Correct.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Do you have a DECA and PI for your router?

7. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    No. Nothing on the router. I found out by trial and error when. I connected my receiver to the router, the whole home doesn't work. What is PI?

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Here's a setup that shows [more than] what you need. The H23 would need a DECA and the router a DECA & PI:

[​IMG]

9. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks for the diagram. Using a router is optional right? If I don't use a router, I just need one DECA and PI ?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    As you can see in the layout, with the HR21-200, if you're just wanting to connect your H23-600, you just need a DECA to connect to it, since the receivers power the DECA. It's the router DECA that needs a PI for power.
    You don't need a router connection, but if you have one then VOD, TVApps, DirecTV2PC, and some other features are available.

11. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Thanks. Can the DECA PI and SWM PI be ran on the same cable? I would have to just put a splitter behind the tv and run one to the DECA and one to the SWM PI

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you connect them correctly, yes.
    You need to have the DECA & PI last, so:
    Splitter --> SWiM PI --> DECA --> DECA PI.

13. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    How is your Internet transmitter around your home? Wireless modem?

14. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I have a Apple Time Capsule Wireless Router upstairs and another Airport Extreme wireless router by the TV. The one by the TV is set up to extend the network and I have my PS3 and Slingbox connected to it. Used to have my DTV receiver connected also before I got the WHDVR.

15. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well then, place the DECA powered by the PI next to the DirecTV receiver that was connected to your router. Move the Ethernet wire from the receiver to the DECA and connect the DECA to DirecTV cat6 via green splitter.

16. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I think I will. But I still need to get another DECA unit. I have one on the way for the upstairs receiver already.

17. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    Don't mean to hijack this guy's thread, but I had MRV installed Sat., all of my receivers are networked and sharing playlists flawlessly, but I no longer have an internet connection. Before MRV install I had my HR20 connected to the internet with a wireless bridge, which is now plugged into the DECA, but I can't get VOD/internet connection to work on the HR20 anymore.

I went back through the network connections steps using both "wireless" and "wired" setups, neither would work for me. Because the cat6 is connected to the HR20 from the DECA now, could it need to be networked as a "powerline" connection? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You need to have another DECA to bridge to your home network for internet access.

[​IMG]

19. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006

20. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    One more quick question: when I use the DECA to bridge to my home network, where does it fit? Between my DSL wall connector and my router?