1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need a quality USB cable

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Jul 10, 2013.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm looking for a quality USB cable that is at least 10 feet long, has a micro USB connector on one end, and can actually keep my phone charged while I use it (Current 10 foot cable I'm using can't).

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Check out Monoprice. I've never had any issues with their cables.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'd say that the only construction "quality" parameter that might make a difference in your situation is wire gauge. Do any USB cable manufacturers specify their product's wire gauge?

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Here's a pricey 16' extension ($29.00) that uses 20 gauge wire for ground and VBUS, and 28 gauge wire for D+ and D- and claims it only drops about 1/100 of a volt when the load is drawing .500 MA.

http://www.usbgear.com/USB2_extension_Cable/
    GM-800-5M USB 2.0 Extension Cable Specifications

PARAMETER VALUE UNITS NOTES
    Cable Length 8 / 16 FEET
    Embedded USB Transceivers Cable Prevents Signal Loss
    Maximum Cable Voltage Drop 0.095 Volts @500mA, Ta=40
    VBUS an GND Wire Size 20 AWG
    D+&D- Wire Size 28 AWG Strand-Twisted Pair.
    Aluminized wrap foil w/28AWG drain wire and copper mesh over foil.
    UL Approved
    High Speed Mode 480 Mbs. USB 2.0 Bus
    Low Speed Mode 12 Mbs. USB 1.1 Bus
    Operating Temp. Range 0 - 4 0° C
    Storage Temp. Range
    USB Transceiver Specification Meets USB2.0 Specifications
    USB Approved Connector Down Stream Connector Female Type "A"
    USB Approved Connector Down Stream Connector Male Type "A"

(I don't know how to incorporate "table" formats here, so I chopped the specs table info into the above list)

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is possible that the computer is not supplying enough juice to charge it and talk on it at the same time.
    I once had a phone that showed voltage too low. I moved the cable to another computer and it charged.

Now I use a wall charger plugged into a cheap power strip on top of my desk. Gives me several feet to move around.

There are also portable chargers that can be used to charge only or just actually extend the talk time up to 3 ?? times what the battery alone will do.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19676496&filterName=Category

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12687203&filterName=Category

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I use a wall charger (2.1 amp) and I'm not talking on the phone but am using apps. The 10 foot cable can't keep it charged, while shorter cables can, but they're too short to allow me to use the phone at the same time.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I bought a 15 foot cable from Monoprice and it allows me to charge and use a PS3 Dual Shock controller and I'm guessing that's a whole lot more current.