1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a small 3D display?

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by lparsons21, Aug 19, 2012.

1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Well, here's your chance for one that is pretty decent.

The Sony PS3 3D Display is a 24" 1080p display, ie; no tuner at all. 2 HDMI inputs plus component input. When this thing was brought to market it was at a $499 price point, which was just too damned high to garner many sales.

Now it is on sale at Sony or BestBuy for $199! At that price, it is literally a steal!

Got mine yesterday, and also bought an extended warranty as there are many reports of early failures of it. Of course, it is nearly impossible to figure out just how many are having issues, but it is out there. For $30 to extend the coverage out to a total of 4 years, that was a no brainer for me.

It comes with one pair of glasses, hdmi cable, and Motor Storm Apocalypse 3D game. The picture is excellent, audio is OK but nothing to get excited about even though Sony talks about the 'sub-woofer' in it.

If you need/want a small 3D set, this one deserves consideration.

It is being discontinued, but with an extended warranty do you care?

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Newegg also has it for that price. Oddly, Amazon is much higher.

One downside to the thing is that it doesn't come with a remote. I suppose that's because they pictured it as a desktop dislpay and you'd be close enough to make that a non-issue. But the controls are on the back, right side. You get used to them, but a remote would be handier imo.

When I connected it via HDMI to my W7 laptop, it picked it up just fine, but the sound kept coming out of the notebook. I had to go to sound properties to change the display to being the 'default' audio output to get it to route the sound out the HDMI.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    So, you going to hook it up to one of your DIRECTV receivers and check out 3D there?

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If I end up putting it in my bedroom, most likely I will do just that.

At the moment it is connected to a W7 laptop and my PS3. I've looked at the 3D game that came with the display and it was OK, but I'm not a gamer. The PS3 was bought for BluRay when it was so much better than any of the BluRay players on the market.

In the meantime, I need to go to the video store and rent a 3D movie! :)

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The Little League world series is on ESPN 3D at 3PM today and at 11AM 3net has a good one about Hawaii Volcaneos, don't need to leave home and won't cost you a penny.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I would have to move it to the front room where 2 of the HDDVRs are located. Not a daunting task, but not something I want to do.

thanks for pointing it out though. May happen, just not today! :)

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Can it be wall mounted? Also, if you get a chance, can you measure (width and height) it, please? I couldn't find the dimensions.

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    25.5"W x 13.5" H not counting the stand which adds 2" to H.

And from what I've read and looking at it, I don't think so. Or at least not with a standard wallmount. Maybe there is one made for it from some 3rd party?

9. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Thank you, sir.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I may run down to BB and take a look. Any other questions I could answer from a hands on experience.... they have them there, hope they're not just in a back room.

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I ordered mine online for a store pickup, and didn't even go look for them in the store. Just got mine and left, just the way I like to 'shop'! :)

The picture is excellent though when viewing 3D it is very dark because that's the way it is with 3D on TVs I've been told. The 3D viewing is really good though, better than I had expected. But I will say that I'm certainly not blown away with 3D overall. It is an interesting effect, no doubt about that though.

Sound is better than most flat screens, but nothing to get excited about.

And if you do get one, get the extended warranty. I'm generally not if favor of them, but there are enough reports of issues that I thought it prudent in this case, and it was relatively cheap at $30 for 4 years with BestBuy.

And think hard about the remote...

12. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    How's the viewing angle? Up down & sides.

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Very good to the sides and top, I can't actually tell from below.

The 3D effect is good, but better from fairly straight on.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Re: Remote

If all I have to hook it to is a receiver and a blu-ray player, will I really need the remote? Presumably can get the DIRECTV® remote to turn it on and control volume....?

It'd be also used as my "PIP", as I don't like an actual PIP! :nono2: And with everything I watch recorded, even if lagging by only seconds, I find less use for actual PIP.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I don't know if the D* remote can figure out this set, or at least I could find no reports of remote codes and such for it. I'll fiddle with my spare D* remote a bit and see what happens. Uh no, I can't do that as I would need a D* box hooked to it to try that.

As to why have it, well switching inputs and if you use the internal speakers, adjusting the volume are a couple things I can think of.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, that'd be pretty much all I'd want, and if the DIRECTV® remote can work that TV, I'd be all set.

Those are the only two functions I know of that the DIRECTV® remote will do on my Sammies. Am I missing something else it might control?

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I still don't know if the D* remote can be configured for this set. I did try to program my Harmony 1 for it, and other than being able to go to the menu and work with it, nothing else was controlled.

No volume, no input toggling.

18. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    If the monitor did not come with a remote, then I doubt the monitor would have an IR sensor. Can a PS3 turn it on thru the HDMI cable?

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, it can be toggled on/off with a signal on the selected input.

But it does have an IR sensor because Sony makes the PS3 Media remote control that will control this monitor and the PS3. It has both Bluetooth and IR in it.