1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a UI Reminder? "You are not watching live TV".

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnGalt_01, Jun 30, 2010.

Should the DIRECTV UI warn you about losing unsaved content?

1. Yes -- that would be great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No -- clicking "ok" would be irritating

23 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Huh -- I don't understand the question

140 vote(s)
    85.9%
  1. JohnGalt_01

JohnGalt_01 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    "You are not watching live TV. You will lose unsaved content when you change channels. Ok?"

When you pause or rewind live TV, you store content in a buffer that is erased if you change channels.

The practical impact: When you return to that channel, you can only see *live* tv. You can't go back to your previous position. And you can't recover the piece of content that you missed.

Should the DIRECTV UI warn you?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I sure wouldn't want it to, as this would become too annoying for my normal use.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I agree with VOS. A message like that would get very annoying very quickly.

4. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Ditto.

That would drive me crazy!

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I voted No I hate pop ups. Another pop up that annoys me is when Double Play is in use and a program need to record. It asks which show to stop Double Play. I wish it just would record the background tuner

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Another no vote here. I also agree with the double play comment.

At least so far everyone understands the question!

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    As long as you can disable it, sure. I wouldn't want it.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I hope that this isn't done.

9. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    If you are that forgetful, record or use double play.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    just hit play if not sure, will show you right then w/o a foolish popup.

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I think this would be a good thing for people who tend to watch TV from the buffer, and would prevent most incidents of dogs/toddlers losing the program accidentally.

Do you folks really watch so much TV from the buffer and intentionally change channels while doing so, that this would be a major irritation?

12. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    What is "Live" tv????

13. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I often times end up in the buffer - sometimes by alot, sometimes by small amounts. With kids around, it's not uncommon when we're watching live TV to hit pause for a few moments while we're doing something and then pick back up and watch where we left off.

Granted, we don't watch a TON of live TV - generally we're watching recorded TV and stopping/starting.

But, very rarely are we watching 100% live with nothing in the buffer. If we decide it's time to change the channel at that point, I don't want to have to answer a pop up in order to have the channel change.

14. JohnGalt_01

JohnGalt_01 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Let's say you are watching a soccer game. You pause or rewind it, so now you are watching content from the buffer.

You accidentally change the channel. Or someone else picks up the remote, not realizing that you are watching from the buffer.

When you return to the game, you are now caught up to live TV. If you see that someone has scored, you can't rewind to watch the play.

Would you want DIRECTV to remind you that you are watching from the buffer before you lose it?

15. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    This works well, remeber in the TIVO days we only had 30 minutes not 90. We also had smaller drives. Hit record and erase when done if worried about recording space. Plus you can stop recording at anytime. Like when an important phone call comes in hit record, then pause.

16. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    No it would be annoying as the tv mail

17. 408SJC

408SJC Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    This weekend I was using double play. Not recording but when a commercial came on I switched to the other tuner. My 10 mo old daughter grabbed the remote did something to loose the buffer and I said to myself that I should have been recording. Oh well, but it would be nice for more options to not loose the buffer.

18. Syzygy

Syzygy Hall Of Fame

Dec 5, 2005
    And yet, TVMail remains. Forever.

It's all too easy to accidentally change channels by inadvertently pressing one of the more than a dozen buttons that are just begging for you to touch them by mistake.

Every DVR should have a fail-safe dialog that pops up when you're behind in the buffer by more than a few seconds. Some do.

So naturally I vote Yes.

19. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Isn't that what double play (dual live buffers) and the record button is for?
    If dtv were to have something like this then we would be screaming for a pop up blocker.:nono2:

20. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Would be Very Annoying....