1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need a way to backup series links!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sweep49, May 25, 2013.

1. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I know it's been said before but in case anyone is listening.......... My HR23 passed on Monday after nearly 4 years; power supply I guess. Called and had another sent; an HR22 unfortunately.

It's all good though, even the lost recordings are tolerable and no big deal really. But the loss of some 2 dozen series links is a real pain to deal with as many of them are shows not being aired now, but they will be back in their new seasons. What in the world would it hurt to provide a backup path for series links only to a usb flash drive, or something on the sata port, or somewhere on the network for those with whole home or via Directv2pc??? Come on DTV, step it up; this from a 12 year customer (who is satisfied even though you would not offer me a Genie at less than full price)!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you were using an external drive, just connect it to your replacement, everything will be on the drive, just none of the content playable, except what may have been recorded OTA as I see you have several AM21's. Another excellent reason to use an external drive with D*'s current model.

3. larryk

larryk Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    Of course you could always use the old fashioned, Low Tech, way by taking a picture of the screen...

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Would a flash drive serve to capture the SLs?

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    That's medium tech!

My dear mother would have advised me that if I couldn't remember it, it wasn't worth it.... :grin:

1 person likes this.
  6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While a flash drive backup would be nice, I use the voice recorder on the iphone to read the SLs. Delete the old one and so far, haven't need the recordings.

8. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    But, as the OP said, many of them aren't currently airing, so you have to wait until they air again to add them back. There is the potential to forget to add them.

9. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The "not airing" problem is reduced by the "far in advance" feature in search. I added SLs today for several new series that will not air until July and August. At the moment, the FIA horizon seems to be early to mid August since a couple of series debuting in late August were not found.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I can't imagine such simple task as of the SLs Export/Import to/from USB flash drive would be a problem for FW developers...
    from my limited experience of DTV FW it would take a day of one coder; the files are on a drive, make one UI screen and a few routines to copy from/to USB stick, as is - files (!); perhaps ask for replace if it's the same ... ugh !

1 person likes this.
  11. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Thanks, I did not know this but have not needed an external drive's capacity.

I was talking to my son about this yesterday and he said that Dish has a utility that allowed him to transfer recordings from a dvr he was replacing to a new one. Hmm!

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    dish doesn't have a utility like that, but if the old DVR is still working somewhat, you can transfer the recordings to an external hard drive and use it on the new one if you have a Vip HDDVR or Hopper.

Also Dish backs up the series link to the remote on the 722k, 922 and Hoppers.

Both features quite handy.

13. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Ok, I must have misunderstood my son. Thanks for clarifying.