1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice for HD upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by El Rey De Boxeo, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Rey De Boxeo

El Rey De Boxeo New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    I am a newbie to the forum and all the technical speak going on in here. I am in need of some advice and was wondering if you guys could help me.

I recently had my place gut renovated and they routed the coax through the walls (3 single output points around the apt) and out the side of the house. I have to get the new cable reconnected to the dish mounted on the chimney as the old connection was severed.

I have a standard dish and reciever, but want to upgrade to HD as well as DVR capability. I have a 36" Sony XBR Wega tube that is HD capable.

Questions:
    1) Should I go with the HR20 or H20 & seperate Tivo?
    2) I'm hearing that for the HR20 I will need 2 lines of coax going into the house from the dish. Does this mean in addition to the line already in the wall, they will have to run another line into the house?
    3) Besides the HD box, will I need any other equip for the TV to become HD?

Thanks for your help ;)

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Doesn't matter if you have the HR20 or the Tivo you need 2 lines to the box for both tuners. You need a line for each tuner you have.

3. Marty B

Marty B Legend

Sep 21, 2006

1) You can rule out an H20 and seperate Tivo if you want HD. The stand alone Tivo series 3 is cable only. You might be able to go with an HR10 if you want a DirecTV DVR with Tivo, or you could go with the HR20, its a DVR though its not Tivo.

2) You need two lines to the HR20, one for each tuner. You could only use 1 tuner.

3) I dont think so. I have the same TV as you. If you want Dolby Digital 5.1, you will need a decoding amplifier for sound.

Marty

4. El Rey De Boxeo

El Rey De Boxeo New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Is there any special dish I should ask for or when I order the HD upgrade will they already know what I should have. I've read on this board that there is a new 5 LNB dish. I'm not sure if that is what I will automatically get or if I have to ask for it specifically or what.

Also, when the installer comes, will he know that he is going to have to route another line into the house or is this one of the things that they are going to make a stink about unless you grease their palm?

5. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Yeah it's the new AT-9 dish with 5 LNB.
    What you want to do as far as installation is describe exactly what you want to have done to the DirecTV rep and then make sure they put your requests into their notes for the installer to have.
    Also - do you know what type of Coax cable you just had put in? In order for the AT-9 and the receiver to work properly, you'll want to have high quality cable which is RG-6 with "copper center conductors". If you don't have that cable installed, it's still the responsibility of the installer to install the correct cabling. So you may not end up using your "re-wired" house cable afterall - at least not for HD.

Hope this helps.

6. buckZor

buckZor Mentor

Sep 15, 2006
    I also have an 36" Sony XBR Wega tube set. I almost went with the R15, non-HD DVR but I am so glad that I went with the HR20. I am using the composite HD cables to the number 6 HD/DVD input (number 5 wasn't working) and forcing 480p, native off, for the resolution. The picture quality is aMAZING! I am happy to get HD channels and they look fine, full screen picture in 4:3. I have friends over to view the HD channels, like DiscoveryHD Theater and they can't believe how rich and beautiful it looks at only 480p.

Anyway, loving the HR20, loving DirecTV and happy to get a few more years of usage out of my XBR Wega Tube.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Couple of things:

1. I assume you meant component cables, not composite. Right?

2. Why are you forcing 480p? Is your TV not HD? If it is, you need to select 720p and/or 1080i, depending on your TV's capabilities.

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Here is a little more info...

The Installation Tips will help you with all of these questions about an install. So many times, problems with the HR20 went back to the user not even knowing they had a bad installation.

You will get a 5 LNB dish with your install.

Currently the HR20 must have 2 sat cables RG6 and I am sure you will want Over The Air so that is another input. Maybe you can have an indoor antenna. By the end of the year, those three cables will be able to run on a single wire. I am just working out one last kink to making it a true single wire solution in my installation.

Consider the TiVo Survival Guide to help you make the move. The Undocumented Tips & Tricks has quite a bit as well.

Is your TV HD ready?

- Craig

9. GollyGee

GollyGee AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    Electricians know how to "fish" cables through walls.

If you can talk to the guy who just installed your new coax cable, he might remember how he routed it, and whether it would be possible for the DirecTV installer to tape the two cables to the end of the coax cable and then just pull the new cables through. That could save a lot of time.

10. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    Couldn't he wait for the SWM and make that work without all the extra work of running new lines inside his house?

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    SMW is due out in the 3 quarter, the real question might be "wait"..how many of us can do that well? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.