1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need advice for satellite antenna

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ultimofootball, Jul 21, 2014.

1. ultimofootball

ultimofootball New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    I have a detached workshop where I used to have Directv, but I now have Dish network. I have a Dish 211k receiver that I want to be able to use in my workshop to watch football in a few weeks, but all I have mounted is a Directv antenna with a single coax going inside the building. Is there a Dish antenna that I can buy (and hopefully use the old Directv mount) that I can buy and put up with a single coax that has HD signal capability? Thanks!

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    No city ===
    If your locals are on Eastern Arc (61.5 - the bulk of the national programming is on 72.7) - either a 1000.4 EA (61.5, 72.7 and 77) or 1000.2 EA (61.5 / 72.7) . If your locals are on 77 - then you MUST use a 1000.4 Dish/LNB

If your HD locals are only on 129 - then a Western Arc 1000.2 dish / LNB

You do not have to have both Eastern and western arcs - just one is fine.

I would suggest calling Dish and have them arrainge the installation. In any of the LNB Dish cases listes - all you need to your 211 is a single coax.

3. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will call Dish. They will probably charge for installation since I am not a new customer, but that will be ok. Or I guess I could go with Tailgater and just hook it up when I need it out there. Thanks again! By the way, city is Huntsville.

4. ultimofootball

Jul 21, 2014
    AL
    It looks like in my setup I am pointed to Satellite 61.5 and 72.7 according to my settings on the receiver.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A DISH HD antenna should fit on a DIRECTV SD mount (assuming there's room to swing for the larger dish). You should confirm that it is plumb after removing the DIRECTV dish.

If the workshop is significantly distant from the house, DISH may balk in which case you'll have to do it yourself or hire a third party.

6. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Actually if the DTV antenna is a Slimline then the pole diameter is 2" and you will need an adapter to go from 2" to the 1.66 inches that Dish uses.
    I just did that install and used the old DTV mount with an adapter.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While very handy, those adapters don't appear to be on the Approved Equipment List.

8. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I didn't figure it was actually a Dish piece of hardware but it is extremely sturdy just bolting it on. For $10 it made the installation very easy. Bolt the adapter on then put the Dish on the adapter, aim it and lock in place. Much easier than installing a new mount.