1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on second TV

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by satcrazy, May 15, 2012.

1. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    My jvc crt finally blew the left speaker, so I am looking for a bedroom TV.

I have a pany plasma [ tcp50st30] and I love the picture. I found a 46" [ same model, both Amazon products] but, the 46 has gone up in price.

So, maybe an LCD?

I know it should be 1080, [ 720's are getting dirt cheap, really tempting] but how critical is the refresh rate if I don't game or watch sports [ well, maybe baseball] ?

Or stick with plasma? I cannot justify the 2012 model prices for a bedroom tv, tho.

Anyone go from plasma to lcd and was happy with it?

I hate doing this all over again as the panny was my first flat screen and I spent months researching it [ yeah, in the end it was worth it]

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
  3. John Williams

John Williams Legend

Oct 5, 2011
    Any comparable LCD is going to be more expensive than a plasma. So if you see an LCD that's cheaper than a plasma at the same size, you can be assured the picture quality of that LCD is utter crap compared to that plasma. You generally have to spend a lot more on an LCD to get the same picture quality. And there is no LCD that can match the top-of-the-line plasmas. (of course below 40"+ size it's going to be LCD anyway).

That being said, an LCD might be a better fit for you bedroom. Is there a lot of windows across from where the TV will be? Is the room usually bright when you watch TV in there? Do you usually fall asleep while watching TV (with a news ticker running across the screen all night)?

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Since it's a bedroom TV, I assume your viewing distance will be at least 10'?

If so, it doesn't really matter, just focus on price.

720p would be fine, but you should be able to find good 1080p 46" displays for under $700.

5. John Williams

John Williams Legend

Oct 5, 2011
    Wow, that is a good deal.
    Understand that's not a great looking TV (VERY entry level). But I would put it up against all the other cheap crap brands in that price range. Certainly can't compete with the picture quality of the Panasonic ST50 series. But that's a lot more money, just like the GT50 series is more money than that, and the VT50 series more money than that.
    One thing to note: If you use a control system, the entry level LG's don't always have discrete codes like the upper models do.

6. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    hi john

Actually I saw a Sony lcd at wallyworld that had a decent picture, but it either was a 720, or had a refresh rate of 60hz, I can't remember which now. It wasn't the size I wanted either. [ But the picture was good] I know nothing about edge lit or backlit lcd's either. Someone posted that "edgelit is not good because of "flashlighting" whatever that means.

So what about the importance of refresh rate? [ I watch series and movies mostly in the BR]

I do not want to go backwards here [ at least not in a big way] Meaning buying a lcd, and then realizing it's nothing like my plasma. Yup, I'm sploiled.

My bedroom is dark, and normally I set the sleep timer [ normally, not 100%]
    That news ticker your talking about, are you reffering to plasma burn-in? I thought lcd doesn't have that issue.
    Oh, and the other thought is lcd is cheaper to operate [ electric]

7. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Thanks for the link, these stores are located down state. Good price tho.

yeah about 10 ft. I guess I should check out sam's club.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Sony KDL-46BX450 lists for $699.99, 46'', 1080p, 60hz. If refresh rate isn't a big deal then this should fit the OP's needs.

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Sam's has a 45 inch Hitachi LED - 1080p, 120 Hz for $648. Good plasmas in the 47-50 inch range will be higher. The Vizio 1080p 47 inch LED's ar reasonably priced, quite good sets. Available at club stores and Walmart. I have two Vizio sets and am quite happy with them One is a 720p 37 inch LCD set, the other is a 42 inch 1080p 120 Hz.3D LCD, which is very nice,with wired and wireless-n ethernet and quit a few internet apps

10. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Aside from the 3d and eathernet capabilities [ don't need either of these, tho] What do you notice most between these 2 sets?

11. mak

mak AllStar

Nov 16, 2005
    How about Samsung plasma 490 series it is a 51 In. for around $800

12. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Obviously, scrern size. As far as 720p vs 1080p is concerned, you really wouldn't notice the difference on a 37 inch set. The 42 inch set replaced the 37 inch set in my bedroom. It has one more HDMI input than the 37. My viewing distance is a little over 8 feet an the difference in screen size is noticeable. I have a home theater setup in my bedroom, with 5.1 surround, HD DVD player, 3D Blu-ray player, TiVo, HD Radio Tuner, Wii, Roku XD, Pioneer AVR and a phono turntable.

3D movies look great on the TV. As to ethernet, you can get streaming video from Netflix or Amazon, Music from Pandora and a host of other services.

13. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Before I bought my panasonic plasma, it was a toss up between that and a samsung. I saw a couple of "sammys" that had a picture equal to that of my st30. However, there were too many complaints about "buzz" on the samsung, [ that was last november] and I still see people posting about the "buzz" problem. [ dealbraker for me]

Ended up with the panasonic and never looked back.

thanks tho.

14. John Williams

John Williams Legend

Oct 5, 2011
    1) Edgelit vs. true backlit.
    All LCDs work by shining light thru a liquid crystal substrate. Until recently, the back lighting was performed by a CCF (Cold Cathode Fluorescent) bulb. The long thin bulb was positioned at the top and side and uses an etched diffusion layer to distribute the light evenly behind the LC panel. The problem is it doesn't really distribute the light perfectly evenly. This is the "flashlighting" you speak of. If a perfectly black image is shown on the screen, what you get is some areas of the screen are black, other areas of the screen are slightly lighter than black (where light bleeds thru at angles). Kind of looks like a haze on the screen in areas.
    When LED is used for the backlighting in a 'edgelit' setup, all it's doing is replacing the CCF light along the edges with a row of LEDs. You still have all the same problems with uneven lighting as with CCF (actually the problem can even be a little more pronounce using LED).
    With a true backlit LCD panel using LEDs, there are dozens (even hundreds) of LEDs that are used directly behind the panel. Since the ratio of LED to pixels is not perfect, light diffusion has to take place as well. With displays that don't use that many LEDs in the backlighting, that means more issues of hotspotting (uneven illumination). But having a panel lit with LED directly from behind (especially on the more expesive models that use a lot of LEDs) allows for a feature called 'local dimming'. Depending on the manufacture it can actually be called many different things (got to love those P.O.S. marketing departments - making it hard for anyone to know the truth about anything). With local dimming, increased contrast can be achieved. As well as less light bleed thru.
    However, at some point shady cheap companies will be ready to offer "true backlit LED" TV's to ride the new wave of hot marketing terms. These cheap TVs will perform like crap and not have enough LEDs in the backlight for proper uniformity (you can already find this in the cheap edgelit junk out there by these same manufactures). And there will be customers lined up to take the bait.

2) Refresh rate.
    LCDs have the inherent problem of blurry images when things are in motion. To help combat this, engineers raised the refresh rate of the display. This only helped a little. But with the refresh rate at 120Hz, this did make it possible to display 24Hz content properly without adding or dropping frames. Anything over 120Hz is pretty much marketing B.S. Most displays look cartoonish when you turn the feature on as well. A lot of people don't mind the weird look over the little extra bit of clarity they get (especially on sports). YMMV.

3) Your viewing habits for the bedroom (lighting, etc...) would put a plasma as your best investment for that size range (42"+). Getting an LCD "would" be a step back. I asked about the news ticker thing because of the issue you might run into with plasma, not LCD. Again, doesn't sound like that would be an issue for you.

4) Power consumption.
    Todays plasmas are a lot more energy efficient than they were just a few years ago. Although still not as good as LCD, it isn't bad. Who would really complain over an extra $5 per month of electricity a plasma would use over an LCD of the same size?

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it helps, I've got eight Panny plasmas, both 720p and 1080p. I did my homework, too. The only LCD set I'd even consider is a Sony and I did waffle over buying the Sony or another Panny plasma. In the end, I remembered all the problems I had with Sony CRTs and didn't want to go thru that again.

You did the homework once and came up with the same answer I did. Go with the Panny plasma. Just be careful which model you choose. Read the specs carefully. BJ's, Sam's Club and Costco often sell slightly different model numbers that don't work as well as the normal numbers.

I did have one Panny that buzzed, but I returned it to Costco and got the same model for hundreds cheaper at 6th Avenue when they were still in business.

Rich

16. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'm assuming you are looking for a 50 inch or thereabouts TV. Narrow down your options to plasma or LED (LED, because they perform better than regular LCD), 1080p, preferedly 120 Hz refresh and of course, price you are willing to pay. Decide whether you want to buy online or at a storefront.
    This will narrow your selections to a manageable number. User reviews are sometimes helpful, but must be taken with a grain of salt..

17. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    To John;
    Thanks for the very indepth review.
    It appears I would have to buy a very pricey LCD/LED to overcome all the variables on this type of flat screen.
    It looks like I'm back to plasma.

To Rich:
    Yes, I saw a sony bravia that was impressive when I was shopping for the first plasma, I too had a sony crt [that ended up with the red blinking light of death] and it wasn't that old. It was really frustrating because the PQ was great, but in the end Sony is just overpriced, period. Would you buy another 720 if the price was right? More importantly, which models would you avoid? That would help my search.

Cholly:
    actually thinking about a 42 or 46, and [it looks like] I'm back to plasma.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, I'd never buy another 720p set. For all of you who say you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p sets, I disagree strongly. I can tell right away when I'm watching ABC or Fox. I can tell the difference between 1080i and 720p on ALL my Panny plasmas, especially the 1080p sets, but also on the 720p sets (yup, I see better PQ on the 720ps when they receive a 10801 signal). All that said, all my 720p sets put out a really good picture.

Last Xmas I bought, thru Amazon, a Panny plasma, TC-P60ST30, that we're satisfied with. I have to say that I/we do wish we'd gotten the more expensive 65" model. I would recommend that model and all the more expensive models (wished I could have waited until now to buy a set, they're much cheaper, but my wife would have spent the money if I hadn't pulled the trigger at Xmas).

Rich

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'll just say if you can't tell the difference, you might want to get your eyes checked. ;)

20. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Well, I already have the tcp50st30 in my living room. A 46" of the same model has gone up in price on Amazon. [ I bought my 50" on amazon as well, last October]
    I will stay with the 1080 then, [even though the 720's are cheaper.]

Back to the search....