1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need artistic gift advice for 10 year old girl

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 #1 of 13
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My wife got the Christmas list for her niece, and I know I'm probably out of touch with today's youth. The niece's mother emailed the list, and it included Aliens v. Predators game (M rated of course), a Crayola Glow Board, DQ Blizzard Maker and something called bendaroos and fuzzoodles.

Looking at Amazon, most of this either gets bad reviews or seems above or below her age. I'm thinking of trashing the actual list, but using the Crayola board as a starting point and doing some sort of art set. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good beginners set for that age, or am I off base here and just get something on the list, reviews aside?

2. Dec 9, 2010 #2 of 13
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I do not know if the Crayola Glow Board is the right gift for a 10 year old. I was looking at it for my 6 year old (the recommended age is 6+) but the thing I don't like is the fact you need to buy refills, etc. - Sounds like an endless money pit..

3. Dec 9, 2010 #3 of 13
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's what I was thinking, and on Amazon, several reviews said it was hard to clean without scratching it.

Of course back when I was growing up, I just had regular crayolas. Always worked as long as I kept them sharpened.

Still gets me that AvP was on the list.

4. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    A hot glue gun, some spools of ribbon and lace, and lots of shinny beads.

If the hot glue gun is not appropriate for this person then what about some paint and paintable ceramic figurines.

Have you visited Michaels the craft store?

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Only thing I could guess is that a friend has AvP and has played it at their home. I can not imagine a 10 year old girl coming up with that on her own.

The DQ Blizzard Maker sounds kind of fun but once again we come to it being a constant money pit as it needs supplies, etc.. It is one of those gifts I see being great until the supplies run out then quickly moving to the back of the closet.

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    My kids have bendaroos. They are basically wax covered strings in various colors. You can shape them and stick them together to make different shapes, words, or in my kid's case... space ships. They aren't messy, so they are a good travel toy in a car or airplane.

They are ok but tend to end up like play-dough, getting all mixed together in a homogenous pile, then the kids lose interest. But, maybe older kids would keep them separated longer. My kids are 6 and 3.

http://www.bendaroos.com/

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Given that the mother sent the list... I would first see if the mother had viewed (hopefully) the list...

Then, I would ask the girl about the items on the list and why she wanted them. You might find that she specifically wants them and will be disappointed with anything else OR you might instead find that she has some general interests and these just happen to be items that she thinks she might like.

The point is... a 10-year-old is old enough to have a conversation to gather more information before surprising her with something she may not like, that leaves both of you disappointed.

Think from your own perspective... IF someone asked you what you wanted, and you told them, and then they got something completely different... what might your reaction be (even if you kept it to yourself to not hurt the other person's feelings)?

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My mother has bought an endless amount of stupid crap for my daughter. She has bought every type of art supply there is and they got used the day/weekend they got bought and then rarely touched.

But one thing she did buy her was this: http://www.harumika.com/

My daughter, who is now 10 still plays with this thing. A few scraps of new material and its a whole new toy. My daughter is artistic as well and the beauty of this is there is no paint to get anywhere. We go to a local quilt store every couple of months to get some new "scraps".

9. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow. That Harumika thing is pretty impressive.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Probably no where similar, but growing up I wanted an Apple II, got a Tandy 1000 instead. Man was I disappointed. Quickly was glad they made that decision.

Honestly though, I'll probably still get something from the Bendaroos, since it's less than $15 to get a 500 pack.

The evil side of me is considering getting the M rated game, but the wallet and better judgement are overriding that. Her mother actually typed up the list, so she knows what's on it.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have had the flip of that happen to me.

When I was a kid, I wanted an Atari 2600 one year... but my parents got another less-known system because they were told it was a better system.

Truth be told, years later when I got into computers I discovered that in fact that generic system was more powerful than the Atari 2600... but it never got the support from game developers... so the Atari had a much longer life.

I was disappointed... and got the Atari a year or 2 later... but in a weird way it was because my parents actually tried (and succeeded) to buy me something better than I'd asked for that they ended up making the poorer choice.

It didn't ruin my life or anything though.

12. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I have a couple of nieces who are artistic. They always get excited over packs of Sharpie markers (w/ a good variety of colors) and pads of paper to draw on. Sam's and Costco's are great resources for those since both can be considered office supplies. Even when I splurged and got them flashier toys when they were younger, I always tried to toss in some type of markers or colored pencils - and they were just as excited about those as they were about the flashier things.

13. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    My daughter is 13 now, but she loved to read these books about a clan of cats at that age. Also, she recommends foopets.com. Good luck