1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need assistance with snow on dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dpeters11, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We had a big snow last night, and while I had no issues this morning, a friend who is about two streets away recently switched said this is the second snow that has caused him to lose signal. He doesn't want to use a heater. He's sent me links to various "hoodies" and covers. Do these really work, and don't affect the signal themselves? I mentioned the supersoaker, he doesn't like it either.

He says I'm partly to blame for this because I didn't tell him there have been customers here that have had snow issues in the past. I thought my own experiences would be more relevant but guess not.

Any ideas? I also told him to stay away from using Pam.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Long handled broom. Sooper soaker with warm water. Covers don't really help because snow sticks to them, too.

It's quite possible, though, that your friend's dish isn't optimally aligned, causing it lose reception easier than yours. Compare your signal readings with theirs.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Snow on the dish is a possibility anytime it is a little sticky and there is blowing and accumulation. If your friend doesnt get it, tell him the best thing to do is go back to some non-LOS method of receiving tv. For all the benefits that we get with sat tv, if he cant handle the occasional need to clear snow off the dish, he shouldnt be a sat customer...I know there has been more snow down in that area than usual the last week or two...Oh, and find a new friend 'cos this one is not worth it if he blames you...thats not what friends do...

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What I found odd is that as I said, I'm two streets over and haven't had to brush the snow off yet this year, and in the 6 years I've had satellite, have only had to do it 4-5 times, several were when we got pounded and Cincinnati went under a level 3 snow emergency. So maybe it's a signal strength issue as well. When the installer came out it was raining heavily and he was going through the waiver process when it came back on its own.

5. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    A garbage bag over the dish sometimes helps, depending upon the amount and type of snow.

It is a little unsightly, however.

6. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    The best answer is to have the dish accessible mine is mounted off my deck and take two seconds to clean off even during the worst storms. Only have to clean when the snow is as stated earlier sticky.

7. PhilS

PhilS AllStar

Sep 23, 2007
    Denton, TX
    I live in Texas. Snow once in a while. If it's above freezing, I take a water hose and it washes off the snow - also melts any ice on the dish.

8. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Short term:
    soft bristle broom to knock of the loose stuff, then warm windshield washer fluid in a squirt bottle to get off the icy stuff

Long term:
    check the signal strength and get the dish peaked if needed

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    That's why I tend to avoid recommending anything, if they have a problem, who gets the call? I also don't tell the neighbors what I do. I don't want the doorbell ringing when I'm home with a neighbor and their sick computer. I have little enough free time as is.

10. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    It might also be a wind issue. Now I live in SoCal, so I don't know what snow is... :D

But I have family in Michigan and Ontario, Canada and have visited them in the winter. I also was born in a cold climate with lots of winter snow.... and the conditions can vary from street to street. If you have more wind then him, snow might continue to blow off of the dish, and only a little sticks to the dish, where as the dish is sheltered from wind.... the snow might just twirl down on it and stick.

Combine that with a slight mis-alignment, and he might be in trouble a lot more then you, even though it is only a street or two over.

I agree with previous posters though: If you are not prepared to deal with snow on your dish, you should not be a satellite subscriber.

My uncle uses a bucket of hot water, and some sort of super-soaker type thing.... basically the one you put in a bucket, pull to fill it up, and then push on the back to squirt the water out.... he does that once or twice, and the dish is fine.

Best way would be to use a heated dish of course. Why doesn't he want to use that?

11. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    - if he is blaming you he doesnt sound like much of a friend.
    - if he didnt know this could happen he sounds like a dope.

12. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Agreed.

I live in sunny southern California, where all we need to deal with is RAIN every now and then..... and my 8 year old nephew who probably has never even seen snow up close, except for on his DirecTV-powered TV would be able to figure out that if snow sticks to the metal of a car, it would most likely also stick to a satellite dish.

This falls in the "you didn't tell me I could not use the microwave to dry off my PUPPY" category.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He told me when he got home, he had a signal, maybe the sun melted enough off.

Don't know if he's going to do anything.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My dish is on my porch roof. Only have problems with the wet heavy stuff. I don't have access to the front from my balcony, but it is within broom reach.

But I have never seen a 90° angle broom? So, I'm open to any ideas on how I can clean the dish front from behind the dish? The dish is at eye-level, so I can reach over the top. I only have access from one side.

Oh, I have a snow storm on the way. It due Sunday night.

15. Valve1138

Valve1138 Legend

Apr 26, 2008
    Spray some Silicon spray on the reflector.

16. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's not really a good suggestion. Silicon sprays can leave behind residues that can stain the dish and attract dirt/dust.

17. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    I just use a broom. I only use warm water if it is covered in ice. Over the years I have noticed some dishes seem to have more snow stick to them than others. Usually I have to clean snow & ice from the LNB's.

P.S. Can we make this a subject of a sticky thread under tips & resources, etc...?
    This subject comes up every year. Just a thought.

18. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You can't just spray silicon, you need to grow it to get the proper crystal structure.

19. ntwrkd

ntwrkd AllStar

Apr 19, 2006
    Yes, the lattice will just accumulate more snow anyway.:righton:

20. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I vote that sat company's should provide super duper super large super soakers to all customers that live in snow prone areas that has a non accessible dish.