1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need cables rerouted. Will D* charge me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vestaviaScott, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 2, 2007 #1 of 13
    vestaviaScott

vestaviaScott Mentor

Dec 1, 2003
    I have the protection plan. I'm moving my den to another room, got a new 52" LCD. I need to get two cables run to the room for the new tv. I have two questions before I call D* and try to get a deal...

1) What kind of a deal do you think I could swing for an HR20. I want to leave the one I already have where it is (this will become my kids playroom).

2) Assuming they will not send out a new HR20 and I have to use my old HD Tivo, will they charge me to run cable from my multiswitch to the new room? I have the protection plan, not sure if that helps me in this situation.

2. Dec 2, 2007 #2 of 13
    narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    1. This is a huge YMMV situation -- If you're willing to swap out the HD tivo, people have been getting them swapped for nothing, or atleast having the cost covered by programming credits, if not getting the HR20 for free by doing this. If not, you're looking at $199 most likely, with some possible programming credits to offset this.

2. I believe this is covered under the protection plan, but the only way to find out is to call. I would recommend finding the "ordering Tips" thread here, there's a good template for an email that some have used with success -- "I'm looking to swap my HR10-250 for an HR20 in order to receive all new HD channels" or something like that.

3. Dec 2, 2007 #3 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is unlikely that moving is covered by the protection plan. Adding a new receiver is probably your best choice.

4. Dec 2, 2007 #4 of 13
    DtvSlave

DtvSlave Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I know our company does not "relocate" for free. If it is done through our dispatch center it costs 49.95. However, Directv themselves may charge a lower fee if it is ordered as a "relocate".

5. Dec 2, 2007 #5 of 13
    JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    I would guess you would pay for the cable re-route. This might be a good excuse to go buy some compression fittings, tool, RG6 cable, etc.

6. Dec 2, 2007 #6 of 13
    Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    It is possible that you could get them to set up a movers connect for you and use it to do an upgrade/move. Now, that would pay to get an installer out there and do the relocate, unless custom work is involved like wall fishing.

7. Dec 2, 2007 #7 of 13
    dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    If you get an HR20, that comes with free basic installation, doesn't it?

I was able to get a "relocate" for free by just asking teh CSR if they could give me a break since we've been customers for almost 13 years.

8. Dec 2, 2007 #8 of 13
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The protection plan does NOT cover relocation of a receiver. Some CSRs have tried to set up service calls as such though with little success.

9. Dec 2, 2007 #9 of 13
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You are rolling the dice.

The equipment upgrade is no big deal. The wire itself is no big deal. But if you call DTV they will route it through their HSP folks. The tech you have drilling into your house will PROBABLY not have the skill or tools to do the work. Ask him how long has he been with DTV.

I would go with the "adding a box" order plan. You can switch their location yourself.

Good luck,

Joe

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I sincerely doubt you'll get a move for free. You might contact a local electrician or installation company.

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I'd love to see the giggle the Mover's Connection Department CSRs would have over that. "I just got a call from a guy to set up a Mover's Connection to his den!"

vestaviaScott,

I believe it's been mentioned, but if you add the HR20 to your "arsenal" you can have the HR10-250 'relocated' to the new room. If you don't get the new HR20 but want the HR10-250 moved to another room, that will cost you - it's not something that is covered under the Protection Plan.

12. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    I've seen movers connects set up just to upgrade standard receivers. It wouldn't be the first time someone has "moved" inside their own house.

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    This is "specification creep."

It may not even be a big deal, like drilling the back of a wall box to run wire out the other side of the wall.

Note that the FREE Basic Installation "one" receiver became "each receiver" and then a "second line" was added for DVRs. Connecting existing landlines became "run lines as required" to connect the phones. And "attaching to the structure" became a free steel pole in concrete
    "for LOS reasons".

None of the above was requested with a compensation listed or even a request to bid the additional work.

Free rewire to another room; probably not!

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.