1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need D* dish moved...where to put it..??? Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DrummerBoy523, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Ok, my existing setup was in place when I bought the house. At the time, we had perfect signal strength. Later, as the trees grew, we lost one of the sats and had to go to a SL3 in order to eliminate LOS issues. Now, I've got 40s, 50s, 60s and the occasional 70 if lucky.

Here is a picture of what I've got now.

[​IMG]

I need to move the dish as the birch tree & crape myrtle are causing me LOS issues - after some analysis, the best spot is at the top of a back wall/corner w/Vinyl siding. Here is the spot and the view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only other spot is the reverse side of the house from where the dish is currently - on the brick - but I can potentially seen an issue with the birch tree and the pine tree in the distance: Here is the spot and the view:

[​IMG]

Install scheduled for Thursday...Thoughts???

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Is the roof not an option?

:)

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Consider cutting the trees.

The Crepe Myrtle can be lowered about five feet without issue. The Birch....looks like one or two horizontal limbs could go without much problem. Too many houses around to clear the LOS with a 12 gauge or better shotgun.

OR

Spiking the dish to the truss end near the gutter will get the cable down the building easily and be invisible, the cable run can be tucked into the siding corner. Cant see where the cable has to go from there to get into your building.

Joe

4. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm a little leery of a roof mount. I don't want to end up in the thread on here showing installation disasters. If I went with a roof mount - what specifically should I look for on the installation? I have a very high 2 story house

Joe, The wife will not allow me to cut the crepe myrtle as it provides some privacy from the neighbors to the left of the dish. I *might* be able to trim the birch a bit. FYI, w/o those trees in the way, my signals were in the very high 90s. I'm in zip code 37064.

What do you mean by "spiking" the dish to the truss end...?

The cable has to go another 50 ft back to the right side of the house where the dish is located now. My thoughts are to locate it on the side of the house and run the cable through the attic and down the exterior wall to where the existing multi-switch is. I have power in the attic if needed.

Is a vinyl install not a good idea? I could put the dish on the brick wall - it would require quite a long cable run - probably 50-75 feet easy to get to where the entry point to the house is currently.

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    w/o the trees you would be in the very high 90s???

Cut the trees and tell the wife that the neighbor likes it when she walks around nude.....:eek2::eek2:

6. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    ha ha... you haven't seen our neighbors.

Seriously, We are planning on putting a covered patio/porch which would cause us issues anyway, so I just want to get this thing moved now.

7. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I used to be leery, but have had no problems with the Slimline dish being mounted at the bottom corner of my (only 1-story) roof. I would think if the installer has a tall enough ladder, they could access a corner of the roof w/o much trouble.

:)

Attached Files:

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Actually they would use lag bolts but the idea is to attach to the vertical end of the truss on the lowest point of the roof edge. There is plenty of wood there to bolt the dish but you are not making holes in the roof. See the picture mcbeevee posted. That is not what I mean....there was a smaller mast done on the truss end and instead of resetting the 2" mast on the truss end the tech used the roof. ....ok but not my favorite technique.

Then you have to run the cable laterally somehow. It can come down and run along the ground or run across the building and then down at the ground block & multiswitch. Technically it should not run in and out of the attic before grounding but that would work.

Attaching to the vinyl siding is not recommended. The sheathing behind it will not support the dish and, even if you manage to hit a stud with the bolts, it will damage the siding and probably leak.

Attaching to a brick wall can be done with the correct anchors.

And there are ways of raising a dish. But I still like the pruning option best.
    You can rope and pull limbs until you find the offending branch.

Keep at it.

Joe

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Do you need line of sight to all sats? Or will just 99, 101, and 103 needed? If so, then maybe some trimming of the trees would help.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    [​IMG]
    Is this the top of your dish on the ground just above the fence? - - - - - - - !

Yes you need height. The higher the better.

If that's your brick wall on the left. Yes, high up on that would do.

What does Dishpointer tell ya about your best location?

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    *Installed properly*, it would be fine on your roof. I'd put it on the lower overhang, similar to McBeeVee's.

Items you need to consider:

- Locate a stud/rafter and get two of the six bolts from the mast foot in the stud. This is important, as the plywood underlayment isn't strong enough to support the dish properly by itself.

- Sealant must be used between the mast foot (and support-arm feet) and the roof. Either Bishop tape or Henry's roof tar, or a similar asphault-based sealant must be used. Silicone does NOT work properly; it doesn't adhere to an asphault roof.

- Pre-drill and use only 5/16"-shaft lag bolts, not 1/4"-shaft lag bolts. 5/16" bolts normally have a 1/2" hex head, but DirecTV has some custom lag bolts made with a 5/16" shaft and a 7/16" hex head, which are far easier to find magnetic nut drivers for.

- Make sure the foot of the mast is mounted far enough up the roof that you can get a support arm under it. Done properly, the short support arm is inline with the main mast, at an angle that meets the mast just under the elbow.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Harbor Freight is your friend. http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-magnetic-quick-release-nutsetter-set-65806.html

Also not listed on the website, but they have a 5 piece bright colored set that includes 1/2" driver. :)

13. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    This picture is an option of a place to put the dish - I'm just standing on the ground looking in the direction that the dish would be pointing. Yes, that's my brick but I'm concerned about the birch tree encroaching...

14. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I've pruned but the wind blows that birch tree into our LOS constantly. We love the tree and don't want to cut it back any more. We need to move the dish. I'm thinking the brick wall on the other end of the house in the picture above...

15. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    NEVER ROOF MOUNT ANY DISH UNLESS YOU WANT LEAKS...:eek2::eek2:

16. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    FUD

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    BS...I have had three houses with roof-mounted dishes and never a leak. Most of the houses round here in DFW have roof mounts. If they are done properly they work well....

18. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    not sure what dishpointer tells me - I can select any location on my house and get a good LOS. The problem is the best spot IMO is that corner but it is vinyl siding. I'm thinking we will need to move the dish to the other side of the house which is the wall on this pic to the left and high up, then we'll have to run cables to the other side of the house. I just hate having cables on the outside of the house - looks tacky to me.

19. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    I wouldn't risk the installer doing it wrong.

Look here.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=155654

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX