1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need HD package for OTA HD?

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by scredsfan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. scredsfan

scredsfan AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    Don't know if the Dish Network side has addressed this question....I know that if I want local channel guide info to show up in the guide I have to subscribe to local channels, but if I want to get my locals OTA in HD do I have to subscribe to an HD package? Thanks!

2. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    You don't have to subscribe to locals in order to watch your OTA stations in HD. The channels will be integrated into the receiver with the SAT channels. The program description that will appear in the guide will be "digital service".

3. scredsfan

scredsfan AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    But will I still be able to get my HD locals in HD without getting an HD package?

4. wreck

wreck Legend

Oct 27, 2007
    You can always get the locals in HD IF they are broadcast OTA in HD. You can do this directly with the antenna hooked-up to the back of your TV. If your Dish Network receiver is HD -- you can also run the antenna directly to the receiver and get HD. (I'm not positive what happens if your Dish reciever is not HD).

5. scredsfan

scredsfan AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    Thanks for the answer - I've got a 622 going into an HD ready TV. Believe it or not, most of the HD stuff I watch consists of sporting events on HD locals OTA and I've been thinking about dropping the HD package. I just wanted to make sure about still being able to get my locals in HD.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There is a $7 HD enabling fee, HD essentials is $10. A lot of people keep the essentials just for the extra channels since they have to pay that much money just for OTA. Another note: if you do not have you local package, you do not get guide info on your ota. You can still record by setting manual timers.